Options

Problem with search engine?

SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I'm beginning to think the SmugMug search engine doesn't like me.

I accessed the www.smugmug.com homepage

I entered a search criteria in the search box

When I selected a photo in the search results "Photos Matching..." section:
If the website containing the selected image DOES NOT have a custom domain setup the correct image is displayed by the owners website.

If the website DOES have a custom domain setup the first image in the gallery containing the selected image is displayed NOT the selected image.

No matter what the search criteria, the results were consistant with the scenario discribed above.

Am I the only one the search engine doesn't like?

Have fun,

Phil
SunGlo Photography
www.sunglophoto.com
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:
    Am I the only one the search engine doesn't like?
    No. Confirmed.

Also moved this to the bug section thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:

A more correct description of the problem: If a custom domain is set, regardless of the image clicked on the search-results page, it will go to the first page/image in the gallery that holds the image.

go here: http://www.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=wild+utah&searchType=global&x=0&y=0#photos and select an image that's not the first one in your gallery, and it will bring it to the first image, regardless.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    A more correct description of the problem: If a custom domain is set, regardless of the image clicked on the search-results page, it will go to the first page/image in the gallery that holds the image.

go here: http://www.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=wild+utah&searchType=global&x=0&y=0#photos and select an image that's not the first one in your gallery, and it will bring it to the first image, regardless.

Thanks Ivar, I like your description much better...that's what I am experiencing.

I discovered this while checking my StatCounter data. Someone in Tallahassee, Florida will be real happy when it's fixed. They keep selecting a "Spotted Beebalm" image only to see an "American Beautyberry" image...hmmm.

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Phil, do you still see the problem?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Phil, do you still see the problem?

Yes, I just checked, same problem. I searched for "spotted beebalm" which is unique to my site (www.sunglophoto.com) and then I tired "wildlife" and looked for other sites with custom domains. All still exhibit that same problem.

In addition to always displaying the first image not the selected image, I also noticed the back button will not return you to the SmugMug search results with a custom domain site...sorry, didn't mean to complicate things.

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 10, 2009
    Phil,

I promise I am not ignoring this. I have been testing trying to replicate what you are seeing. I do have a bug filed for the URL not using the custom domain in the search results. That is what I expect until we get that fixed. Because we use the custom domain when one it used, the page will redirect to the custom domain.

The results taking you to the wrong image is not what should be happening. It works correctly for me on Firefox and I end up on the correct image. But Safari is not going to the right location. Because of the redirect, it takes 2 clicks for me to get to the search results page.

I will file this as a bug to the programmers. I cannot tell you when it will be fixed. Hopefully soon.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Phil,

I promise I am not ignoring this. I have been testing trying to replicate what you are seeing. I do have a bug filed for the URL not using the custom domain in the search results. That is what I expect until we get that fixed. Because we use the custom domain when one it used, the page will redirect to the custom domain.

The results taking you to the wrong image is not what should be happening. It works correctly for me on Firefox and I end up on the correct image. But Safari is not going to the right location. Because of the redirect, it takes 2 clicks for me to get to the search results page.

I will file this as a bug to the programmers. I cannot tell you when it will be fixed. Hopefully soon.

--Doc

Doc,

I was just responding to Ivar's question "...do you still see the problem?" Please don't feel like I'm pressuring you, I know you guys are busy.

Yes, it does work correctly using Firefox and fails using IE8. For some odd reason I failed to include that in my initial write up...sorry. I don't have the ability to test using Safari or older versions of IE.

The only problem is the SmugMug system-wide search capability. My site custom search functions normally.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 10, 2009
    :-) I was just referring to the fact that I had not responded yet. Sometimes I will see a post and run with it. But I forget to let anyone know that I am working on the problem. We do get some folks that feel like they are getting ignored. I promise that you they are not.

Thanks for the details. I will add them to the bug report. Hopefully that will help narrow things down. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com