michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Street and Documentary
1)
705715073_8YL7a-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Jennifer, this shot has some potential, I think, but I'm not sure how to go about pulling it out.

The center of the image is wonderful and the elements there draw my eye into the picture (man on left --> man & child on right --> motorcycle rider --> group under stairs) but the large bright wall makes it incredibly difficult to pay attention to anything else. The lines of people, across the back of the frame, up the stairs and across again, are also very interesting but compete with the wall and the center of the frame for attention.

It has kept me interested for quite some time, though, so there's definitely something cool there. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I think if you could lose the guy on the left, it would greatly improve the image. He's neither in nor out - he needs to go.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 9, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    I think if you could lose the guy on the left, it would greatly improve the image. He's neither in nor out - he needs to go.
    I really like the guy on the left in this one. His direct look makes me feel more a part of the scene.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    ok this is one of the shots I normally wouldn't comment on--but following an earlier thread, I'm going to try.

There is a whole lot to look at and nothing to see, make sense?

I'm like a kid in a candy store, going from image to image, but my eye rests on nothing.

It's a busy street/building and....just leaves me blank.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    1)

I really like this, minus the blob on the left. I like the zig-zag, and the father and daughter in the center:
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I wonder if judicious use of shallow DoF would maintain the interesting zigzag in the background while giving more focus to either the father and daugter or the cyclist moving through the shot.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    The verticals are slightly off (tilted to the left). The title says "Four" so where are the other three?

- Wil

Later: many interesting things going on here… I wonder if the man and the girl are in fact related? I see a man with a package under his arm, he's standing still (back on his heels), there are pedestrians crossing the road in front of a motorcycle (stopped, see foot of rider). The young girl happens to be walking passing the man with the package; she could be walking ahead of her companions who have yet to step into the frame, or have already stepped out of the frame. Interesting picture - nice job!
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau