Options

SOLD: Kirk Camera Plate for D90

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Nikon Land
The best tripod accessory you can get for your D90. No twisting, no messing around with screws, no worrying. It is as rock solid as it gets for attaching your camera to your tripod. It has an Arca-style dovetail integrated into the plate so it is ready of for any Arca compatible head. Another big plus for this plate is that it has a machined in loop for a strap attachment point. I used this to attach my Black Rapid R strap. It allowed me to use the strap and the tripod at the same time. I liked this plate so much that I bought one for my new D300s when I picked it up.

I used it for a short time (1 week vacation) before I upgraded to a D300s and sold the D90. The plate is as new with no scratches or wear marks. I left my "Super Custom Cord" on the plate that I used as the attachment for the Rapid R strap. Price is $45. A new one is $55

687678456_KGDsq-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    Z - no need to repost this for sale, you could have just bumped the old thread with the same effect. I've merged and deleted the duplicate.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ***Price drop $40 shipped***
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I am somewhat interested in this as I have a D90 and a Kirk Ballhead on my Gitzo tripod. However, I can't quite see why this would be an improvement over the plate that came with the Kirk Head.

I have researched the Kirk website, but I still don't get it.

Can you explain?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Using a regular flat camera QR plate, put a stout lens on your camera, rotate your sweet ball head to the portrait setting with the button on top and watch the plate rotate on the camera. It doesn't matter how cool or strong your ball head is if your camera plate twists. Another example. You forget to unlock the pano swivel and just rotate your camera on the plate and loosen it by accident. Or one more, you pick up your camera on the tripod and sling it over your shoulder pro style. Your camera will rotate on the plate and loosen, this to me is just freaky.

Camera plates like this Kirk plate are machined to fit a specific camera body. It cradles the bottom of the camera and wraps up onto the contours of the body so it can not swivel. It is rock solid. You could swing your camera around on the end of your tripod and not have it move. I can put my 4lb 80-200 mounted on this plate and use the ball head to swing to portrait mode and it doesn't move. Not that I recommend that with a big lens, I just had to try it. Once you try a camera plate that is all you will use.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    **Sold**