Options

Some film, one digital

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Street and Documentary
A few recent shots... C&C really welcomed

666262606_eywoY-L.jpg

699360986_UPXDN-L.jpg

702548970_WcCgG-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Congrats on your Street forum photos. It's nice to have you. thumb.gif

I didn't get any particularly strong feeling from any of the three photos, unfortunately. However, they are interesting enough (2 and 3 at least) that I keep looking at them. The "real" coffee cup in number two holds a little interest as the fellow seems as though he should be drinking out of paper. :D

Thanks for the post!
    Travis
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    #1: The picture is split into two halves by the vertical handrail, which is in splendid focus (see where it attaches to the seat); I think the picture would have been far better if the focus point had been on the girl's eye!

#2: Great mood, but I don't know about the slight tilt to the right…

#3: On first glance I thought for a minute it was a snow scene. There a are several pictures here depending on how you crop. The main interest is the group on the right, and the way the lines converge, there are a number of possibilities here, both landscape and portrait, and using the trees to frame the people. Nice picture! (…bet it looks good in colour!)

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    First, I love the contrast in your b&w shots, in particular the last one. Beautiful.

I like number one as a street portrait--I like the look on her face, I don't know if she's listening to someone, but she doesn't look very happy.

#3, although I don't think there is one single thing that is the subject, I like it as a whole, I like how it looks and for some reason it makes me happy to look at it
    --can't explain why though.

Welcome
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    A few recent shots... C&C really welcomed

Hi, Patti - Welcome!

Number one is a knockout - far and away the best of the three; the young woman's expression; the wonderful tonality; the framing; the bifurcation and dominance by the white band - really, really good.

The second is nice, but...
    The third certainly captures a certain autumn in the city mood, though I find the brightness of the leaves and some of the background distracting, and wish you were closer to the people. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks for your honesty everyone - truly appreciated.

#1 I was trying to have the young woman seem distant like her expression which really caught my attention on the bus, thus the primary focus on the railing. It would be interesting to see the other to compare. Interestingly, this one is my favourite of my film shots so far (since Sept). I really liked the mood she conveyed, at least to me. I guess you had to be there. lol

#2 What drew me to shoot this young man was the strong light & dark contrast in the alley and the white mug in the foreground.

Liz, thanks. That was the intent, an overall vibe of the city street.
    BD I see what you mean about the leaves - all golden so pretty bright in B&W. I wish I'd been closer when the couple and girl passed each other. I'd originally tried to get the couple walking away from me but couldn't focus my camera fast enough(dim finder on my camera). When I did, the girl was coming towards me which made a more interesting shot I thought. I will try cropping the left a bit to bring them closer.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Here's an alternate crop of #3

King%20St%20alternate%20crop-1000015.jpg

patti hinton photography