Options

Bus Stop Angel

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Does this work? I took it at a toronto bus stop at Halloween. I converted it and played with the exposure because of that telltale purple chromatic aberration on the edge of the halo (Nikkor 85 1.4D). I thought the brightness of the white added to that celestial feel of an angel on earth but worried that perhaps it's a bit much.

709433853_gQvbf-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Very interesting. Use for a punk Xmas card.

I'd lose the duochrome and go with straight B&W. Much spookier.

709455537_NGM8S-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Very cool. I like it. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks Rutt and Andrew. Good idea Rutt, not your run of the mill Christmas card is it? I thought the doctored sepia gave it a bit more celestial glow. The B&W works too. :D
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I personally prefer the Sepia tone one! Not sure what it is, but something about it just jumps out at me. Nice work!!
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    thanks Rhuarc. :D

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks Rutt and Andrew. Good idea Rutt, not your run of the mill Christmas card is it? I thought the doctored sepia gave it a bit more celestial glow. The B&W works too. :D

Nah - you "doctor" things that are sick - not things that are good. Which is to say - if an image needs a weird "treatment," you can pretty much bet it's not worth treating. And this is an interesting image, so leave it alone. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nah - you "doctor" things that are sick - not things that are good. Which is to say - if an image needs a weird "treatment," you can pretty much bet it's not worth treating. And this is an interesting image, so leave it alone. rolleyes1.gif

By the way - it would have been better had you either included a "Bus Stop" sign, or waited for the bus to start to pull in.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    By the way - it would have been better had you either included a "Bus Stop" sign, or waited for the bus to start to pull in.

The original is colour with lovely purple chroma as you see below. I should have swapped out my 85 1.4 for my 30 1.4. Why I didn't is beyond me. With the 85 on I'd have had to back into the middle of Yonge St. traffic (like standing in the middle of Broadway) to get the bus and sign which I can see would have been preferable. I don't know why I insist on street shooting with the 85. Well, yes I do, the bokeh. I'm a bokeh whore.

709497903_U6pUB-L.jpg

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Color for your Xmas card!!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I must say the color version rocks. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I must say the color version rocks. thumb.gif

Really? It's my D90 SOOC at ISO 2500, the wings and halo are blown.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Patti wrote:

The wings and halo blown like that almost remind me of the type of thing that could have been added with photoshop, and weren't really there! I do like the color version, and but I also really like the Sepia toned one.

Keep em both! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Well, the SOOC version has less visible noise than either of the posted conversions and your subjects contrast the background way better, so yes. Perhaps that would be different on a larger copy but, as is, I like it.

As for the halo/wings, she's an angel! Shouldn't the light be brilliant beyond belief? :D Seriously, though, the wing detail in the converted versions is much uglier than the missing detail in the SOOC version as far as I'm concerned.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Well, the SOOC version has less visible noise than either of the posted conversions and your subjects contrast the background way better, so yes. Perhaps that would be different on a larger copy but, as is, I like it.

As for the halo/wings, she's an angel! Shouldn't the light be brilliant beyond belief? :D Seriously, though, the wing detail in the converted versions is much uglier than the missing detail in the SOOC version as far as I'm concerned.

Good points. Laughing.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Rhuarc wrote:
    The wings and halo blown like that almost remind me of the type of thing that could have been added with photoshop, and weren't really there! I do like the color version, and but I also really like the Sepia toned one.

Keep em both! ne_nau.gif
    I think I will.

patti hinton photography