Options

Shooting from the hip

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I know a lot of members shoot successfully from the hip. I've tried a few times and end up with the sky, the ceiling of the bus, anything but the subject I want to capture.
How the heck do you do it so successfully? Any tips you're willing to share?
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    The only thing that has worked for me is to shoot wide and shoot a lot. It makes sense that, if you're not looking at what you're shooting, then you're not going to get what you want very often. thumb.gif

The lesson I've been learning recently is that there isn't much reason to be shooting from the hip in the first place. Since you didn't ask if you should, though, I'll leave that alone. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    The only thing that has worked for me is to shoot wide and shoot a lot. It makes sense that, if you're not looking at what you're shooting, then you're not going to get what you want very often. thumb.gif

The lesson I've been learning recently is that there isn't much reason to be shooting from the hip in the first place. Since you didn't ask if you should, though, I'll leave that alone. :D

The time I like to try is when I want to get a lower angle perspective.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Ah gotcha. I don't know that there is a secret formula aside from practicing a bit. As with any physical activity you can likely create "memories" from the repeated positioning of your camera (the same way a pianist knows where to push without looking). Perhaps you could spend some time shooting and consciously being aware of the shape and direction of the camera in your hands. This may help "remember" where to hold the camera later on.
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Patti wrote:

Unless you have a set of eyes in your hips, I'd suggest that hip shooting is for one of two things - those who are afraid to use their camera properly - or circumstances under which you can't get the shot any other way.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Unless you have a set of eyes in your hips, I'd suggest that hip shooting is for one of two things - those who are afraid to use their camera properly - or circumstances under which you can't get the shot any other way.rolleyes1.gif

B. D. I believe a little in the adage that the more you practice the luckier you get. It's not a technique anyone should expect many results from, and you should forget it if you're shooting film. But an advantage of digital is that you can waste as many frames as you'd like while melding into a setting occasionally shooting with the camera up.

I will also generally take several shots through the VF. But in my view, the added perspective of a mid-(human)frame shot changes our later perception of the participants.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 11, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    I know a lot of members shoot successfully from the hip. I've tried a few times and end up with the sky, the ceiling of the bus, anything but the subject I want to capture.
    How the heck do you do it so successfully? Any tips you're willing to share?

It's hard to control but once in a while is the only shot you can reasonably get. Best to shoot wide and crop, as composition is hard to imagine (at least for me). Requires a strong wrist if you're using a dSLR. It takes quite a bit of practice to point the camera properly and even then, the proportion of keepers won't be anywhere near what you get by looking through the viewfinder. I don't do it very often. Shooting from the chest is easier because the strap carries most of the weight, but you must be facing the subject.