Options

Two Extremely Rare ( and Valuable ) Mercedes Racers

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
These two cars represent a couple of Mercedes-Benz's most successful Formula 1 race cars. They are seldom seen outside of the corporate museum. The display in which I shot them was very dark with some sort of odd overhead lighting. It took much more PP than I usually employ to get them to this stage. More noise than I like....but I wanted you to see them. They are extremely rare and priceless.

The following is known as the W 196....circa 1954. One of these cars was involved in a horrific wreck in a grandstand area that killed many people. Afterwards, Mercedes withdrew from Formula 1 racing for 30 years.

710411541_LkHjt-XL.jpg

710411686_QquKv-XL.jpg

710411873_5vmTc-XL.jpg

This one is known as the W 163....circa 1939.

710412099_S3HBE-XL.jpg

710412312_cSy2W-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Howdy Tom

These are wonderful both from an automotive as well as a photographic standpoint. You have captured these priceless beauties exceptionally well. Thanks for letting us have a look. clap.gifclap.gif

PS: I could probably climb into #16 but getting out is another story (I'd probably fall and break a hip) :D
    Be Well

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Yo Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. I hear you about getting in and out of the W 196. That does look to be a real challenge, doesn't it?

I have a little experience entering and exiting race cars. If you didn't see it, look up a post of mine about 1 month ago dealing with cars.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    If you didn't see it, look up a post of mine about 1 month ago dealing with cars.

Well, that's narrowing the field! rolleyes1.gif

Wonderful shots, Tom! Beautiful cars! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hey Lee,

Well.....what can I say. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif That's just too funny. I opened myself up for that one. Glad you liked the shots.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Tom.......I really like those shots....Well doneclap.gif......I remember seeing news reels of the wreck... 80 people were killed ... azzaro
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,752 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Very nice thumb.gif

I love these "silver arrows" These cars must be worth a fortune.

"Silberpfeil" (silver arrow) was the unofficial name of the racecars from Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union (now Audi) in those days.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Those are really neat Machines, I love that shot from the Back, really a neat view into the Racer.

Very Nicely Done!!!

Great sharp and clean details.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Tom,

Beautiful machines. I also like the shot from the back of the car.

Anthony
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Beautiful cars. I like the one too from the back end thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

I couldn't remember how many people that wreck took out, but I knew it was a lot. I've seen films of the incident.....it was horrible. Thanks for you kind remarks.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for looking in. Cars of this caliber and with the history they have....I don't know how you could come up with a value for them. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to see and touch them. One of the things that impressed me the most about them was that every single, little detail about them was superbly engineered and manufactured. I mean it was pure perfection.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hey Craig, Anthony, and Mary Kim....

Thanks to all for your comments. The view from the back of that car was pretty interesting. A noticeable feature of the car is that huge steering wheel....necessary because it had no power steering.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hey Craig, Anthony, and Mary Kim....

Thanks to all for your comments. The view from the back of that car was pretty interesting. A noticeable feature of the car is that huge steering wheel....necessary because it had no power steering.

Tom

No power steering -- oh my. I remember driving cars with no power steering. Builds up those arm muscles rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    What beautiful curves

710411873_5vmTc-XL.jpg

Oh, I must really be getting old eek7.gif ~ that used to be directed toward something completely different rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the nice shots Tom!
    Randy