Options

Very sweet feedback... (and some wedding pics)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Weddings
End of October I shot the wedding of one of my assistants, Joe.
It was pretty fun since I knew most of the guests and wedding party.

Here is the slideshow of the event:

http://ambiencephotography.myshowit.com/schaafsma/index.html

I just got an email from the mother of the groom...
The groom's younger brother is special needs, and a very special member of the family. It was very tender to witness the family's treatment of him as they helped him through the day.
Here is the note:
The pictures you took of Joe and Kaylee are just fantastic. It was
such a fun wedding, and I soo enjoyed meeting you. I just wanted to tell you that your pictures of Buddy just touched Bob and my hearts!! Some were just like we have
never been able to capture ever before. Thank you so much for
including him in so many shots. I am practically crying as I type.
It means so much to us. We just don't know how long God will entrust
us as parents to care for him, so whenever we see him in photos as
delighted as he was at the wedding, is just a special treat to us.
Heather, thank you so much. You are wonderful.
Anyway, it has single handedly made my day. Makes me feel that in some small way being a wedding photographer makes a difference in people's lives.

(Here are a couple in case you don't have time to watch the slideshow)
705078965_c5XTq-L.jpg

2. Had to use some serious fill because the mountains side of the church was in full noon sunlight.

(Keep in mind that this was the end of October in Alaska... Kaylee was a trooper. It was cooold.)
705073616_8Wsaf-L.jpg

3. Here is buddy with 3 of his brothers. I was so tempted to crop this differently, but in the end left it as taken.
705050227_2RL2X-M.jpg

4, Perhaps my favorite formal line-em-up photo of all time.
705120609_XhRGD-L.jpg

This photo won't mean anything to most people not in the photo business, but these are two of my assistants. One is Joe, the groom, and the other is Amberly (my sister). I have millions of photos of these two with the white balance cards to measure the light temp in each room. And for some reason they almost always "strike a pose". It was fun to have a photo with both of them doing the "job".

705117794_xNSrq-M.jpg

6. Happy toes out of high heels.
705129543_PnjLQ-L.jpg

705205348_Grqyo-XL.jpg

Anyway, that is all I have time to share. Hope you enjoyed them!

C & C please!

Comments

• Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Heather, your work is amazing! I think that every time I see one of your sets. bowdown.gif I teared up a bit watching the slideshow after reading their letter.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    met wrote:
    Heather, your work is amazing! I think that every time I see one of your sets. bowdown.gif I teared up a bit watching the slideshow after reading their letter.

Thanks so much. It really was a very special letter. I don't always get feedback after a wedding, so when some like this comes up it really means a bunch.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Heather, this is beautiful. My special needs little brother lived for nearly 16 years, and we absolutely cherish every photo of him.

Caroline
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    WOW! Really nice work. You captured the day, and the emotions for all time.

Viewing this demonstrates the difference between a technically good photograph and a wonderful melding of technology, and art to capturing the true emotions and meaning of the day.

Many would complain about shooting in a school gym. You on the other hand were able to shoot in such a way so that I don't think it would have made any difference whether it was shot in a school gym or a palace.

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    WOW! Really nice work. You captured the day, and the emotions for all time.

Viewing this demonstrates the difference between a technically good photograph and a wonderful melding of technology, and art to capturing the true emotions and meaning of the day.

Many would complain about shooting in a school gym. You on the other hand were able to shoot in such a way so that I don't think it would have made any difference whether it was shot in a school gym or a palace.

Sam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly

And can I just say... how the HECK do you do it?! It's not supposed to be possible to make a baseboard heater look like an integral and aesthetic part of a shot instead of a distraction and yet... you do it.

The best part about the pictures of Buddy are that you **didn't** do anything "different" for him - you just included him as the special part of the family that he is, which is a lovely thing indeed.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    +1 - I got a lump in my throat watching that vid. Superb work! thumb.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful work........you definately have a gift! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Great set Heather!thumb.gif

Oh....and in #5 "I spy" the Phoxle gel holder!!! mwink.gif

I get lots of questions when wearing this around my neck, but it is almost always there.

I just have to ask though....are you also using the case as a WB target? I did an in-depth review of Chris' product at one time and that was a suggestion I had made to him.....make the case nuetral grey. It was already close....but had a spectral...metallic like finish.

Inquiring minds gotta know....
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    Aaaw thanks everyone. It was one of those weddings where we had all the good stuff line up for us... lovely weather... great families and couple... And I knew the venues very, very well. Which is actually kind of funny since the church venue was where I went to school as a youngster... and the school venue is where my church meets. Backwards, huh! Laughing.gif Aaand in the background of some of the photos you can see a blue building... that was where I got married 12 years ago. So, now after you have had a tour of my little world...

For Jeff: Yeppers, it is the gels you recommended.. but what we were using for wb is the little cards fanned out in their hands. I have these small credit card sized grey white and black cards that I put on the phoxle lanyard and I make my assistant wear them. My sis always says it sounds like cowbells as she clunks along... (Which is why I make HER wear them, so I can call her my little cow-rolleyes1.gif We do a lot of teasing...)
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    You have such an incredible gift, thanks for sharing
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009

(Which is why I make HER wear them, so I can call her my little cow-rolleyes1.gif We do a lot of teasing...)

......eek7.gif

This is the part where I excuse myself....and remain nuetral.......right?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Heather, your work is truly incredible. You really make the "average" look amazing--and I mean that in reference to the venues and locations... I often look at photos from photographers who shoot at extraordinary venues with perfect details and immaculate landscaping, lighting, etc. Of course, their photos look stunning. But in the back of my mind, I wonder how they would do photographing the "average" wedding--you know, a simple church, an average field or municipal park (with cars and phone lines in the background!), and a simple venue (just like my wedding!). There is no doubt, however, that you really can create beautiful images even in the most "ordinary" locations. I have a long way to go before I am that good!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I had to watch the video twice it was SO GOOD!!!! If someone had not mentioned the school gym, I would never have noticed it. Your captures of emotions and your timing is so impeccable, that I am drawn only to the subject at hand and the lighting. This is one of the best sets of wedding shots I think I have ever seen....better than most shot in "high end" fancy hotels. I guess it helps being a photographer's assistant, because Joe is one of the most relaxed and happy looking grooms I have ever seen! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ......eek7.gif

This is the part where I excuse myself....and remain nuetral.......right?rolleyes1.gif

I see where this is going... Do your gels clack as you walk along? Should I start sending fresh hay down south for you? Cows can't live on gumbo forever. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    Heather, your work is truly incredible. You really make the "average" look amazing--and I mean that in reference to the venues and locations... I often look at photos from photographers who shoot at extraordinary venues with perfect details and immaculate landscaping, lighting, etc. Of course, their photos look stunning. But in the back of my mind, I wonder how they would do photographing the "average" wedding--you know, a simple church, an average field or municipal park (with cars and phone lines in the background!), and a simple venue (just like my wedding!). There is no doubt, however, that you really can create beautiful images even in the most "ordinary" locations. I have a long way to go before I am that good!

What very nice things to say! I often find myself jealous of all the classy venues... cool pillars, brick buildings and iron gates they have every where else in the world. We in AK really have only been developing for around 50 years... so everything is either not old enough to have that classy cool look or a bit hodgepodge.

But my mountains make up for the deficiency quite nicely.

Meanwhile... I think the secret is off camera flashes x 2 and a really shallow DOF. Only times I use on camera flash is during the ceremony... and I grit my teeth the whole time. Anyone can do it. I just have to do it alot.

(And I think you are every bit as good of a photographer as me, Misha. Your work is amazing!)
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    saurora wrote:
    I had to watch the video twice it was SO GOOD!!!! If someone had not mentioned the school gym, I would never have noticed it. Your captures of emotions and your timing is so impeccable, that I am drawn only to the subject at hand and the lighting. This is one of the best sets of wedding shots I think I have ever seen....better than most shot in "high end" fancy hotels. I guess it helps being a photographer's assistant, because Joe is one of the most relaxed and happy looking grooms I have ever seen! bowdown.gif

Joe is a great guy, and a grinner too! We are pretty good friends after working a bunch of weddings together... late nights, bad catering and road trips will make anyone comfortable with you.

Thanks so much for the comment Saurora. It is wonderful to hear from a lady who has been around long enough to have her own smiley :saurora !

And I am glad you liked the slideshow!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Great work! I can see how the mother was so taken back with all these photos of her special needs son, because as others have mentioned, you just included him, didn't give him special treatment in the photos, and his energy and love shined through in the photos he's in.
  • Options
    CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Amazing----AMAZING!!
    Heather, as always, beautiful work. I LOVE (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) the shots where she's in her dress and the red jacket. There were so many great shots in that slide show too! You are amazing.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography