Options

Local college hockey

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Sports
Here's a few from the past two weeks from one of our local university college club teams. They switched their home rink this year and I don't think the lighting is quite as good as last year (or the glass as clean), but I feel I'm getting better with each outing. These are all shot with a 40D, 70-200mm @ 2.8, ISO 3200 (I'm pushing it).

Stephanie

697917119_WhKBC-L-4.jpg

698216082_qwMLY-L-4.jpg

690820298_DKpr3-L-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thezoomerthezoomer Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I think these are really good!! Nice job!! I shoot hockey as well and my shots aren't as good.

Louis
  • Options
    KristaKrista Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2009
    Very Nice!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Way cool. I really like #1. I like the fact that you can see the puck and the face of the player puck handling.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

I remember your first few hockey images and these are so much improved! Your many hours spent at the rink practicing has really paid off!

I think all three are very nice -- puck, action, face -- all in focus! And you nailed the white balance too!

Congrats! :smo :smo :smo You should be very proud of your progress!
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    these are really nice action shots. They look a little bright on my monitor (and histogram)

Here's your last shot with the brightness cranked down some. If others disagree, or if you object, I'll take it down...

Keep up the great work!

703381800_CGjpQ-O.jpg
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    these are really nice action shots. They look a little bright on my monitor (and histogram)

Here's your last shot with the brightness cranked down some. If others disagree, or if you object, I'll take it down...

Keep up the great work!
    nod.gif

It looks better with brightness cranked down even on a non calibrated monitor.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate them.

Tim-
    My monitor is far from calibrated, I forget what they call it but it is one of those really shiny glass-like monitors and not the best for photo-editting. I'm going to check the post out at work tomorrow on my work computer. I know my histogram is really pushed to the right (I didn't bump up the exposure in post, if anything in a few of them I cranked it down) but it always seems like if I don't push it way to the right at the rink, when I get home and get the pictures onto my computer they seem dark. I had my hockey player son look at the two pictures and he likes the brighter one better. On my monitor, I like yours better for the bottom half of the player and the ice, but his face looks too dark. I haven't printed any of these photos. I was shooting at a pretty low shutter speed (I believe 1/320); who knows if the consensus is they are too bright - I might be able to up the shutter speed. If I'm unsure of the exposure in the field I like to err on the side of overexposing vs. underexposing because in post when I'm trying to correct underexposure it usually results in introducing a lot more noise into the picture.

How do I go about calibrating my monitor?? Do I have to purchase something. Again, thanks for the help.

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    yep, you ALWAYS have to purchase SOMETHING!

I use a cheap Huey PRO seems to work well enough for me

http://www.buy.com/prod/pantone-huey-pro/q/loc/105/204305370.html
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009

How do I go about calibrating my monitor?? Do I have to purchase something. Again, thanks for the help.

Stephanie

Purchasing something is always an option :D however I followed the directions at http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color and got pretty good results. I was very impressed with the results of the laptop display to the prints I ordered.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:

Keep up the great work!

703381800_CGjpQ-O.jpg

Tim-
    I checked your edit above out on my monitor at work and I definitely like it better. The face didn't look nearly as dark as it does on my home monitor, you can also see that the crease is blue. Looks like I'm going to have to do something about my monitor - thankfully the holidays are coming up mwink.gif . Thanks

Stephanie
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Really nice work Stephanie. Catching the puck in the goalie shot is fab!
  • Options
    xstartxtodayxxstartxtodayx Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Great shots... nice to see those players keeping their heads up with the puck thumb.gif That last shot of the glove save looks like he just got a piece of it and bounced off his glove, really great timing on that shot. I miss playing, I'd love to make some connections somewhere and try shooting some games myself.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    I miss playing, I'd love to make some connections somewhere and try shooting some games myself.
    wave.gif Welcome to dgrin

In general, you don't need connections, and can go to most hockey rinks and take pictures, just like walking up to the local softball or soccer field. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, you can also call up the rink and ask about the camera policies.

Asking for a media pass for NHL game or a Division I team is another story....
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    aktse wrote:

In general, you don't need connections, and can go to most hockey rinks and take pictures, just like walking up to the local softball or soccer field. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, you can also call up the rink and ask about the camera policies.

Asking is easy! Getting is a different story eek7.gif
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    xstartxtodayxxstartxtodayx Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    aktse wrote:

Thanks.

There's only 1 rink in the area with halfway decent lighting so I might have to give them a ring and see what their policies are.
  • Options
    Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2009

15524779-Ti.gif

the original shots are a little bright on my monitor as well (& it is calibrated) the white balance and other colors in the edited post from tjk60 are much more pleasant to view. Great job capturing the action...hockey is tough to catch without blur! clap.gif

Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery