Options

Couple from UT commemeration of Berlin Wall coming Down

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in Street and Documentary
WARNING ---- WARNING ---- WARNING ----

There is no black and white here (because my conversion process and skills are lame)

WARNING ---- WARNING ---- WARNING

Monday was the 20th Anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down, as well as the anniversary of Kristalnacht. The University of Texas German Studies group put on a commemeration; some educational material, a symbolic building and opening of a wall, and a candle-light moment in memory of Kristalnacht. My daughter's school picked up on this and had the 5-8th graders make boxes to be included in the wall, as well as added some learning into the cirriculum about the Berlin Wall.

710490644_uoftN-M.jpg
710493361_HC2bH-M.jpg
3. Jenn, I though of your pipe shots when I saw this gap here.
710493604_Le2zi-M.jpg
710494095_wtjwG-M.jpg
710496316_W2eFP-M.jpg
710497475_2R8uj-M.jpg
710498736_zP5qa-M.jpg
710499134_AViRW-M.jpg
9. The fellow in the left is the representative from the Geman Consulate who spoke, the older gent in the middle is a professor of Semetic Languages at UT, the the girl is mine.
710500487_8cZxD-M.jpg
710501268_6iWmX-M.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Don't need no B&W for this to be a nice set. 2, 4, 7, 8 and 10 work very well. When you get close enough, you win.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    #10 takes the cake, imo, though there are many very good shots.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks Rutt and Sara. It was a good experience for the kids, and I never shot in a place where there was so much going on, and had such variable lighting. I only shot about 450 images over 3 hours (tossed about 40% pretty quickly that weren't really worth keeping on any level -- personal, decent PJ or decent street). Live and learn. Though most shots were of kids I knew from the school, I at least got more comfortable at taking shots of complete strangers. Still not there on shooting a picture of the random guy on the street.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I have to agree that the close shots are excellent, Andrew. I do, however, like number one as well. It doesn't necessarily fit the theme but it is an interesting shot. Nice work! clap.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks. The first one was just interesting to me since we were a little early, and she decided to get some reading done while we waited. Not really street, though.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Thanks. The first one was just interesting to me since we were a little early, and she decided to get some reading done while we waited. Not really street, though.
    It's just as much street as any other. It certainly has the potential to display some sort of human condition and that, in my opinion, is what this forum is about.
    Travis
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Andrew, I like #3. mwink.gif :ivar I can't tell you how gratifying it is to ever be acknowledged by someone. Thanks for the call out.

But seriously, they all work for me except numbers five and six. Each tells as story in its own right while supporting an overall narrative. I am beginning to think a lot more about story telling and plot lines in series photography.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks. 5 was sort of a chuckle to me, not good PJ. Everyone was sitting or standing well back from the steps to listen to speakers, except this one lady who sat on the steps off to the side. As framed, it looks like just one person listening to the speech. As BD says, if I had to explain it, it obviously didn't work. :D

6 was just before the wall came down where the "Volkspolizei" (in the black shirts) were guarding the wall still. I think it might have worked better if I was closer and focused on the guy in the fg with a better DOF so that the wall had some detail left to it.

Thanks for the feedback.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site