Options

Football Shot - Looking for some helpful critique.

SoonerShawnSoonerShawn Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in Sports
Here's another shot from that same game I posted earlier. Would really appreciate any C & C from some of you guys that know you're stuff. Lighting was not as good as the other shot, but I thought it held up ok. What about the defender's hand and toe creeping in on the right? What would you do there?
Thanks for you help!

639202790_MRQ9M-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Here's another shot from that same game I posted earlier. Would really appreciate any C & C from some of you guys that know you're stuff. Lighting was not as good as the other shot, but I thought it held up ok. What about the defender's hand and toe creeping in on the right? What would you do there?
    Thanks for you help!

639202790_MRQ9M-L.jpg

The hand on the left does not bother me at all, however the pictures looks like it is blown out or somewhat overexposed. Everything is very bright, the grass is not green, the yard marker looks like it has been out in the sun forever it just doesn't look color correct.. Did you apply a lot of fill light? What PP did you use and what are the settings before?? You could show us the full frame if this is a crop to see if you may be able to salvage the trailing player...
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    You've got a great capture here brother, it's just over exposed. That's ok, nothing a little post processing can't fix. I touched it up some to what I think looks properly exposed. If you wanted to spend some time with it a person could do better by masking off the player and a seperate layer then doing incremental adjustments to the background, but I didn't want to spend that kind of time on it. Anyway, I cropped a bit of dead space off and darkened everything and to me it looks pretty good.

I always underexpose just a tad from what my camera's meter tells me. I've learned from experience that the pics just look better. You might give that a try next time you shoot.

Good pic here, especially considering that he was on the opposite side of the field from you.

clap.gifthumb.gif

711163750_9ERSW-L.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Nice capture. As mentioned it's overexposed. Even though the edit improves it you can see the red is still blown out in the jersey so it's still a bit distracting. Sunlight can be difficult to shoot in sometimes - especially with football helmets. Make sure you're reviewing shots occasionally - not looking at sharpness / focus - you can do that at home. Look at the exposures. With the LCDs on today's DSLRs you can really tell a lot - I rarely use my histogram anymore as the lcds are detailed enough to judge exposure.

Having said all that, the timing on this shot is great. Not much you can do about an extraneous hand/foot - it happens. Also nice and sharp so that's good too. Get the exposure closer in camera next time and you'll be getting great results.