Options

The Price is Right

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm shooting family and individual portraits at my church Sunday. Each family/individual will pay $10 sitting fee and they will get an 8x10 printed by me for that price.

I also want them to be able to go to the gallery I've set up for this: http://www.journeyamerica.org/People/BodyChristmas/10261726_kaQdL/1/709438624_aPdWD and get a free digital download as well as be able to have the chance to purchase additional prints.

Yah, I know it doesn't make sense to give free downloads adn then ask them to purchase prints, but it's the way it's got to be.

So, how do I set my pricing to allow all this to happen?

Thanks and blessings
Jerry Nelson
www.Meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Yah, I know it doesn't make sense to give free downloads adn then ask them to purchase prints, but it's the way it's got to be.

Definitely not the best approach. If you must do it this way, you need to get some quality prints from a pro lab (Bay Photo) and some of the local printers like Walmart, Target or Costco.
    Have these prints available at the shoot. Show the people the difference and explain why they should only be purchasing prints from a pro lab.
    Make sure they understand why prints are different and why prices are different.
    You definitely have a tough sales pitch ahead of you, good luck.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Definitely not the best approach. If you must do it this way, you need to get some quality prints from a pro lab (Bay Photo) and some of the local printers like Walmart, Target or Costco.
    Have these prints available at the shoot. Show the people the difference and explain why they should only be purchasing prints from a pro lab.
    Make sure they understand why prints are different and why prices are different.
    You definitely have a tough sales pitch ahead of you, good luck.

Thanks for the response, but that's not what I'm asking. My question is:

How can I set prices so that folks can have the option of buying online prints OR downloading the digital file free.

Thanks
    Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    How can I set prices so that folks can have the option of buying online prints OR downloading the digital file free

You set your price the same way as any gallery. You allow downloads by leaving the protection off in the gallery and setting the size to original.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    You set your price the same way as any gallery. You allow downloads by leaving the protection off in the gallery and setting the size to original.

But doesn't that allow someone to download ALL the photos and NOT just the digital image?

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    But doesn't that allow someone to download ALL the photos and NOT just the digital image?

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

You can set each photo's size individually- so , if you want your customers to be able to choose the download from all of the photos you post, you would have to set all of them to "O", and yes, they would then be able to download all of them.
    Or , you could have them choose the download they want, tell you what it is, and then you can enable ONLY that photo to be downloaded.

I think you may want to rethink your business model for this shoot.

(Personally, if I received an 8x10 print and a digital file, I don't think I would need to order more prints- how many prints does one need to hang on their walls?)
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Blaker wrote:
    I think you may want to rethink your business model for this shoot.

(Personally, if I received an 8x10 print and a digital file, I don't think I would need to order more prints- how many prints does one need to hang on their walls?)

This is for the church. Not doing this to make money. The only reason we're aksing $10 for the 8x10 is so that anyone that might like a picture done, but can't afford the processing, their cost is covered.

Secondly, it's Christmas. Someone may want an 8x10 and digital file and someone may just want to order a canvas print or something as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the thoughts and input.

Blessings
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    This is for the church. Not doing this to make money. The only reason we're aksing $10 for the 8x10 is so that anyone that might like a picture done, but can't afford the processing, their cost is covered.

Secondly, it's Christmas. Someone may want an 8x10 and digital file and someone may just want to order a canvas print or something as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the thoughts and input.

Blessings
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Well, if you're not doing this to make money, then just set the entire gallery to "O" and let them download away!
  • Options
    RosyRosy Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2009
    I would just leave your prices where they typically are, accept the fact that you'll get few orders if any, and do the best you can to promote your business! Make sure your name and phone # is on everything you give out. Maybe even have an on-location event scheduled for mid-January. If play your cards right you could set yourself up as "the church photographer" and be the first one called when people need photos.