Options

The Berlin Wall, 1989

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Here's one I took the day the wall was opened. West German teens would climb on the wall and taunt the East German guards who were still patrolling the wall.

119306777.jpg

Tina
www.tinamanley.com

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    What a day that was!! How marvelous that you were there. Do you have other photos taken that day you can share?

I wonder where those two people are today.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    What a day that was!! How marvelous that you were there. Do you have other photos taken that day you can share?

Virginia

Hi, Virginia - Yes, I have lots more but they're all on film and my scanner is not working right now. I just happened to have this one and a few more already scanned. I wonder, too, about the people who were there that day. It was an unforgettable scene. I'll try to get some more photos posted today.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thank you!!

We were living in Amsterdam at the time and I had visited East Germany for the first time just 5 months before. Our East German guide knew all about the West via television, though she had never been allowed to leave East Germany. She lamented that the West knew so little about her country.

It was an incredible feeling to watch (albeit via European TV) as events unfolded.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks for posting. What a great image....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I wasn't there that day, but was part of a student opera program based in Belgium the following July. We travelled through East Germany to give performances in Prague when things were still very "new" after the wall came down; our director was a (former) East German, too, so had loads to say about it. Amazing time to be there.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    What a meaningful photo! How cool to have been there! I hope you can share some more. I was in Germany the summer of 1988 (I was 14) but I didn't get to see the wall. What an amazing thing for you to have been there and taken pictures when it came down!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia
    Married? rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
    Virginia
    I posted the ones that I already have scanned:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/Europe/Germany/Germany/3917506_AGttq#711405565_qD3Bd

Unfortunately, most of my photos were B&W and those haven't been scanned yet. :cry

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Those photos are fantastic tina. I can imagine how exhilarating it must have been to be there and bear witness to history. I too would love to see more of your photos from that time.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography