711394863_LEde4-XL.jpg

711395793_qTbqo-XL.jpg

710621934_i9pvA-XL.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Great shots, each one better than the last. Excellent November 11 photo-essay. :D
  • Options
    b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    A most excellent set of photos. Thank you for sharing them.

Jeff
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Great shots, each one better than the last. Excellent November 11 photo-essay. :D
    I must agree, Rutt. This is excellent work. thumb.gif

My favorite, however, has to be number two. The expression of the soldiers in the foreground and background create a lot of tension. The color, too, is just excellent.
    Travis
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I must agree, Rutt. This is excellent work. thumb.gif

My favorite, however, has to be number two. The expression of the soldiers in the foreground and background create a lot of tension. The color, too, is just excellent.

I just wish you hadn't buckled on the title, as this was as fine a Veteran's Day spread as could be, but I can almost see your tongue in your cheek (seeing as how you don't use emoticons).
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I really like ## 4 and 6.
    Each tells a story all on its own.

#7 is intriguingly ambiguous. Or it would be if I hadn't seen #6!

It is particularly nice to see #6 as we were out of town yesterday and didn't get to see any of the parade.

Great stuff.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Wow! #6 is the most compelling for me. The world-weary expression and body language of the veteran in the forefront captures for me the burden that people who have experience war first hand carry for the rest of their days. It makes his plea for peace all the more compelling.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    #6 is a gem.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    One more, can't resist:

711637536_dKoYj-XL.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    The latest is a worthy addition. The expressions of the men in front just break my heart. Weary, discouraged but resolute. We owe them and all who have served much more than we can ever repay. We owe their families a huge debt as well.

Thank you Rutt, for the pictures taken on November 11.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    I like your version of the man with the flags better than the Globe photograph.

Granted, the Globe's picture does its job in telling the story of the day. It is dramatic.

Somehow, though, your picture is more for the ages. Yours is perfectly framed and having both flags visible add to the line and structure of the photograph. Also, and perhaps more importantly, you got closer. My response to yours is more emotional. Could it be that the use of b&w is a factor too?

Maybe your version does not shout "Veterans Day." Maybe it could have been taken at a July 4 parade. All the better.

As to giving photographs a title, I don't think that simply stating the event and place is a bad idea at all. The picture still stands on its own.

Virginia

Email