Options

Light Painting Landscapes

eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Landscapes
I was out the other night trying my hand at Light painting Landscapes at Elbow River Waterfall. The first capture was about 1/2 hr after sunset using a 1,000,000 Candle Power flashlight.
708810976_pMunC-X3.jpg
The second Capture was taken about one hour after sunset.
708819120_DyB6T-X3.jpg

Your Comments and suggestions are welcome
Dean

Comments

• Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    56 Views and no one can give C&C ???
    Come on people out of 56 views and no one has the time to give there thoughts ne_nau.gif
    if your on this sight to learn and grow as a photographer then you need to contribute more than just looking at photos.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    relax, it takes time....

your light painting looks good, but personally I would seekout to do this with some moonlight.

#1 was good beacuse you included the FG with light, #2 does not work for me...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    btw, sometimes people like me look at the image and think about it for a day before a reply is produced...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply's the photo was up for about a week and the I had to wright a pointed post in order to get a response. Yes I don't respond all the time the first time a see a post but I do try. My point is that there is were 56 views and on one had the time to say HI I like this or that about to photo or I don't like this or that. This was my first attempt at light painting a landscape so I am looking for C&C form other people so I can improve. I would like to than all that post there C&C in advance.:D

Dean
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I'm no expert, but am guilty of lurking on occasions. :D

But I, too, find the #1 very appealing. You've captured great color in the sky and reflected in the water. The water is nicely exposed to create the soft flow. And the sharp foreground rock works great.

#2 is hurt by the dark foreground. Also, it appears the exposure on the waterfall is much shorter, almost freezing the water. I'm curious if you quickly painted the waterfall in #2, versus the ambient light in #1 maybe helping to create the appearance of a longer exposure.

How long was each actual exposure?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Dean, don't worry about a thing. There are tons of people who browse Dgrin as guests, but they can't post because you have to register to leave a comment. But their views get counted. thumb.gif

Also, I've noticed that autumn is a busy time in landscapes! So things can fall through the cracks easily. There's no harm in bumping a post if it's been a while, though. :D

I have very little experience light-painting landscapes because I tend to get too annoyed with the differences in WB between what's happening in the environment and the temperature of the lighting I'm using. We've done this on workshops, however, and there are quite a few Dgrinners around here who have done some fantastic light painting using their strobes (sometimes with colored gels), million-candlepower flashlights, or anything else they have their hands on.

Of your two shots I prefer the first because there's a little more light in the sky, which makes the rest of the scene a little less dark. Again there is a little issue with the WB of the light not quite matching, but this is fixable in post. I think it's a great exercise however and you did a great job!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    We are all guilty to a point
    aj986s wrote:
    I'm no expert, but am guilty of lurking on occasions. :D

But I, too, find the #1 very appealing. You've captured great color in the sky and reflected in the water. The water is nicely exposed to create the soft flow. And the sharp foreground rock works great.

#2 is hurt by the dark foreground. Also, it appears the exposure on the waterfall is much shorter, almost freezing the water. I'm curious if you quickly painted the waterfall in #2, versus the ambient light in #1 maybe helping to create the appearance of a longer exposure.

How long was each actual exposure?
    #1 was taken @ f7.1 for 30 seconds using ambient light and a flashlight over the waterfall area moving the flashlight in a circular motion as to not create a hot spot and make the light as even as I could.
    #2 was taken later in the shoot and I used a speed-light for more than the flashlight. f10 for 190 seconds
    Dean
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 13, 2009
    I suspect folks are also put off by the huge image sizes. Images posted at 1600x1024 pixels are hard to evaluate in front of a screen unless (a) you have a very large monitor, and (b), you step away from it.

Good photographic exercise though. Number one looks most natural to me.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Some CC, I agree with some of the post here:

* the images imbedded are too large for most people to see on their monitor
    without having to scroll
    *I think moonlight wouldve been your best bet instead of the art. light
    *I would crop out the foam on the left
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks
    crow wrote:
    Some CC, I agree with some of the post here:

* the images imbedded are too large for most people to see on their monitor
    without having to scroll
    *I think moonlight wouldve been your best bet instead of the art. light
    *I would crop out the foam on the left
    Thanks for the C&C. I will use a smaller image size next time. As for the Moonlight it was no wear to be seen behind me and not up high enough in the sky to be used. I don't have a shot of just the moon yet to insert during post processing, It is on my list of things to capture. as for the Foam it is snow a tad blue but better than the yellow kind of snow :D
    Thanks again
    Dean
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks
    schmoo wrote:
    Dean, don't worry about a thing. There are tons of people who browse Dgrin as guests, but they can't post because you have to register to leave a comment. But their views get counted. thumb.gif

Also, I've noticed that autumn is a busy time in landscapes! So things can fall through the cracks easily. There's no harm in bumping a post if it's been a while, though. :D

I have very little experience light-painting landscapes because I tend to get too annoyed with the differences in WB between what's happening in the environment and the temperature of the lighting I'm using. We've done this on workshops, however, and there are quite a few Dgrinners around here who have done some fantastic light painting using their strobes (sometimes with colored gels), million-candlepower flashlights, or anything else they have their hands on.

Of your two shots I prefer the first because there's a little more light in the sky, which makes the rest of the scene a little less dark. Again there is a little issue with the WB of the light not quite matching, but this is fixable in post. I think it's a great exercise however and you did a great job!

I am not getting stressed over it but it is kind if interesting that after I light a fire under some tripods the comments are coming in fast.
    I have done some more looking around on the internet for information about Light painting landscapes and found Brent Pearson http://brentbat.wordpress.com/ Brent has published an e-book on the topic with lots of good information and will probably advance my learning curve on Light painting and those of others who may be looking into this form of Photography.
    Dean
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Your not understanding, its not about a moon in your composition.

Its about subtle lighting to bring out detail that otherwise is Black useless space you're currently presenting....

the painting with light is to enhance your subject....

btw, good luck on bringing a moon into your image on post I doubt it would ever look right..... specifically due to the points I mentioned about subtle lighting... not to mention a handfull of other variables...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    not understanding
    Your not understanding, its not about a moon in your composition.

Its about subtle lighting to bring out detail that otherwise is Black useless space you're currently presenting....

the painting with light is to enhance your subject....

btw, good luck on bringing a moon into your image on post I doubt it would ever look right..... specifically due to the points I mentioned about subtle lighting... not to mention a handfull of other variables...
    Sorry for not understanding your original post was a bit vague as to having Moonlighting but I do understand where you are going with it now, it would have been nice but the moon was not available to play that night. As for bringing in the moon I have seen it done in Photoshop before with good results, I don't know if I could make it happen but you don't know if you don't try then try again. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    yup, my writing is not as expressive as I wish it to be....

good luck, nothing wrong with trying.... but bringing a moon from an entire different shoot and have it look realistic is a feat....

if you want a moon in the comp, your better off shooting when the moon "is" there and expose for the moon individually, and take a second exposure with moonlight & light painting to combine with layers and sell that to the viewer....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks
    yup, my writing is not as expressive as I wish it to be....

good luck, nothing wrong with trying.... but bringing a moon from an entire different shoot and have it look realistic is a feat....

if you want a moon in the comp, your better off shooting when the moon "is" there and expose for the moon individually, and take a second exposure with moonlight & light painting to combine with layers and sell that to the viewer....
    I do agree allows better to all the parts of a comp in the same place and the same time.
    All the best
    Daen
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I have looked at these a few times but have no responded for a few reasons. The biggest is that these compositions and lighting just don't do anything for me. ne_nau.gif

1. The trees on the right side are an important part of the photo being balanced. The tops of the trees would help give this more perspective and depth. With them being cut off it is just lacking in those aspects.

2. The painting with light is too much compared to the rest of the lighting in the image. Good painting with light adds to the image without standing out and looking like a flash.

3. Look at the link you posted and many other good examples of painting with light. One thing they have in common is a focus point. Whether it is a person, a tree, a structure or object- they all have a clear identifiable focus point. The waterfall in your shot is not a strong enough focus point for painting with light.

Personally I would crop all of the bottom and some on each side.
    Left side- crop off 2/3 of the large rock on the left frame. Too much deep space on that side.
    Right Side- crop in about a 1/3 of the image (to where there is just the first grouping of chopped off trees.
    Bottom- crop off all the painted with light area. Leave just a sliver of the start of the falls.

You are left with an image that is more balance, has great lighting on the water which matches the sky and far more natural.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks for the help
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I have looked at these a few times but have no responded for a few reasons. The biggest is that these compositions and lighting just don't do anything for me. ne_nau.gif

1. The trees on the right side are an important part of the photo being balanced. The tops of the trees would help give this more perspective and depth. With them being cut off it is just lacking in those aspects.

2. The painting with light is too much compared to the rest of the lighting in the image. Good painting with light adds to the image without standing out and looking like a flash.

3. Look at the link you posted and many other good examples of painting with light. One thing they have in common is a focus point. Whether it is a person, a tree, a structure or object- they all have a clear identifiable focus point. The waterfall in your shot is not a strong enough focus point for painting with light.

Personally I would crop all of the bottom and some on each side.
    Left side- crop off 2/3 of the large rock on the left frame. Too much deep space on that side.
    Right Side- crop in about a 1/3 of the image (to where there is just the first grouping of chopped off trees.
    Bottom- crop off all the painted with light area. Leave just a sliver of the start of the falls.

You are left with an image that is more balance, has great lighting on the water which matches the sky and far more natural.

Thanks for the help thumb.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    The images have a flash quality about them, that doesn't benefit the image.

I believe you get away from a intense light in a small area if you move the light over a wide area a couple/few times to broaden the light with less intensity,
    Rags
  • Options
    StevemacStevemac Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Hi dean 10/10 for giving it a go i do like the 1st pic
    althogh the silkyness of the water looks a little noisy
    moonlight is an option but try some experiments
    with different lights some are warmer than others i find the new LED style ones
    give a nice cool feel to a picture.And experiment with your shutter speeds ;)

steve.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks for the help
    Stevemac wrote:
    Hi dean 10/10 for giving it a go i do like the 1st pic
    althogh the silkyness of the water looks a little noisy
    moonlight is an option but try some experiments
    with different lights some are warmer than others i find the new LED style ones
    give a nice cool feel to a picture.And experiment with your shutter speeds ;)

steve.
    Thanks for your comments :D