Options

7D AF indicator

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in Cameras
I'm just trying to get comfortable with the 7D AF options. When I'm set for 19-point AF most of the time what happens is that the some black squares momentarily appear to indicate which AF points have been used, which is what I expected.

Occasionally though, when part of the image is in in low light, the VF grid and focus points flash red, instead of being just a momentary black square. The focus works, there is a solid green circle.

I'm guessing that means that there is a blown out level, but I can't find in the manual where it says that? Or does it mean something else.

Also on my 10D I could set things to blown out pixel in the back display blinked... there doesn't seem to be a way to do that on the 7D, is there?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited November 13, 2009
    Not too sure about the flashing red AF points, but to set the "Highlight Alert" ("blinkies" that indicate overexposure), go to the setup menu, and the second Playback (blue) section. The first selection is, "Highlight alert". You want to "Enable" that selection.

Note that in the same section you can set for RGB Histogram, which you may find useful.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I have a Nikon D90, but sounds like something similar to the "AF Point Illumination" setting. When the setting is set to "auto" the focus point will light up red, but only in dim lighting. On the D90, the setting is found in the autofocus menu. Maybe something similar on your 7D? Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Not too sure about the flashing red AF points, ...

Just to clarify, if it is just a single red flash during AF acquisition, I believe that is normal operation to indicate the AF point selected by the camera.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    On my 10D I did get a red flash of a square to show which AF point was used. However most of the time in my 7D, i.e. when the image is not dark, the AF square(s) being used flash black, not red.

Watching it more closely now the AF square red flashes only occur in a dark image. Also, when looking through the range finder I can see the entire background appears to be illuminated with a red flash... but the builtin flash on the camera does not pop up.

If I look at the background directly, not through the viewfinder, I don't see the background illumnated red.

The red flash only occurs if AF is successful. It's different than when you have an external flash on the camera and you can see the red bars that help focus in low light... they happen all the time whether AF is successful or not.

So this looks like a really neat feature of the 7D, if I could only figure out what it was:D

ziggy53 wrote:
    Just to clarify, if it is just a single red flash during AF acquisition, I believe that is normal operation to indicate the AF point selected by the camera.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks, I missed that... now I have my blinky's back. RGB hist. as default too, even if that is not set you can use the info button to get to them in review.

ziggy53 wrote:
    Not too sure about the flashing red AF points, but to set the "Highlight Alert" ("blinkies" that indicate overexposure), go to the setup menu, and the second Playback (blue) section. The first selection is, "Highlight alert". You want to "Enable" that selection.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

I don't own the 7D, but I was reading up on the AF. One thing I did read was that if you are in single shot mode, when you half-depress the shutter your active focus point(s) flash red, same as most Canon non-1D bodies. Of great interest to me, was the statement that when you are in AI Servo, your focus point(s) remain lit red. This is of great importance to sport shooting and the way my old 1DMkII did it. This allows you to easily keep your focus point on your intended subject during movement. This is one feature I've always thought ALL cameras should have the option for.

It's actually a feature that has me interested in this body thumb.gif

BTW, if someone can confirm that I understand this function correctly, I would appreciate it.
    Randy
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    1) Flashing AF screen: there is a setting to highlight (on, off, auto) the focusing "grid". I set it on Auto and find it very convenient when shooting in the dark
    2) There is also a setting which turns the new MFn button into OVF level acivator - i.e. when you already in a shooting mode, if you press the button, the AF grid becomes a two axis level - which is separate from the LCD level, yet again, very nigty.
    3) The same MFn button cycle through the different AF modes (from tiny point to all the cluster to the whole grid) if you first press Index (Grid) button.
    4) There is a setting which allows you to keep different AF point depending on the Portrait/Landscape orientation. I found this feature invaluable.
    5) Needless to say, all those settings (as every other) can be registered in User settings, so you can have 3 very different setups and switch between them in a flick.

That been said, yes, cameras are getting much more complicated than they were even 10 years ago, but I do like those new features.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    On my 10D I did get a red flash of a square to show which AF point was used. However most of the time in my 7D, i.e. when the image is not dark, the AF square(s) being used flash black, not red.

Watching it more closely now the AF square red flashes only occur in a dark image. Also, when looking through the range finder I can see the entire background appears to be illuminated with a red flash... but the builtin flash on the camera does not pop up.

If I look at the background directly, not through the viewfinder, I don't see the background illumnated red.

The red flash only occurs if AF is successful. It's different than when you have an external flash on the camera and you can see the red bars that help focus in low light... they happen all the time whether AF is successful or not.

So this looks like a really neat feature of the 7D, if I could only figure out what it was:D

The 7D has a transmissive LCD viewfinder display, which gives it great flexibility in how the display works. I would bet that in very good light, with a mostly bright scene, it may vary the way that the selected AF points are represented, versus the way the AF points are represented in lower light and dark scenes.

Earlier cameras, like your 10D, only have an illuminated viewfinder screen.

I'll continue to research, but, for now, I suggest that it may be normal operation and only indicates AF points selected.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    I just tried the AI Servo mode and I can confirm that the AF points stay highlighted and change to follow whatever it is they originally homed in on.
    rwells wrote:
    I don't own the 7D, but I was reading up on the AF. One thing I did read was that if you are in single shot mode, when you half-depress the shutter your active focus point(s) flash red, same as most Canon non-1D bodies. Of great interest to me, was the statement that when you are in AI Servo, your focus point(s) remain lit red. This is of great importance to sport shooting and the way my old 1DMkII did it. This allows you to easily keep your focus point on your intended subject during movement. This is one feature I've always thought ALL cameras should have the option for.

It's actually a feature that has me interested in this body thumb.gif

BTW, if someone can confirm that I understand this function correctly, I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Aha, from the following Canon page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3049

"With the EOS 7D, a single AF point, visible in black (or illuminated red) indicates clearly where the camera is looking to focus."

Around halfway down the page there is an animated view of what the viewfinder should look like.

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/2009/EOS%207D%20AF%20System/Spot-AF.gif

Is that what you see Dan?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    That's not quite what I am seeing... I in 19 point mode and the AF points flash just once... black or red depending on how bright the image is.

I think you speculation that it just uses black for bright images and red for dark images it what is going on here. It's easier to see the black (at least for me) in bright images and of course for dark ones the read works better.

ziggy53 wrote:
    Aha, from the following Canon page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3049

"With the EOS 7D, a single AF point, visible in black (or illuminated red) indicates clearly where the camera is looking to focus."

Around halfway down the page there is an animated view of what the viewfinder should look like.

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/2009/EOS%207D%20AF%20System/Spot-AF.gif

Is that what you see Dan?
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    I just tried the AI Servo mode and I can confirm that the AF points stay highlighted and change to follow whatever it is they originally homed in on.

Thank you Dan thumb.gif

This one feature alone my push me to add this camera body to the stable.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Yes, I like lot's of setting whether they are useful or not:D

Which setting is #1? I can find VF Grid Display, but that is just Enable/Disable. I can't find an AF screen setting thoughheadscratch.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    1) Flashing AF screen: there is a setting to highlight (on, off, auto) the focusing "grid". I set it on Auto and find it very convenient when shooting in the dark

That been said, yes, cameras are getting much more complicated than they were even 10 years ago, but I do like those new features.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    Yes, I like lot's of setting whether they are useful or not:D

Which setting is #1? I can find VF Grid Display, but that is just Enable/Disable. I can't find an AF screen setting thoughheadscratch.gif
    C.Fn III: Autofocus/Drive
    #8: VF Display Illumination
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks. I don't know if auto is the default or in my initial rummaging around I set it to auto, but that's what's illumninating the grid at low light levels.
    Nikolai wrote:
    C.Fn III: Autofocus/Drive
    #8: VF Display Illumination
    HTH