Options

Troy and Art's Engagement session

reese.leblancreese.leblanc Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Weddings
Just a few shots that we took Saturday for their recent engagement. It's also my first time using off camera flash, so any and all comments and criticism are welcome! Enjoy!

1 4089984707_2203a53a0a.jpg
2 4090750610_5793c85758.jpg
3 4095978419_0003df9be6.jpg
4 4096738400_bdde38d00f.jpg
5 4095980561_fed3a11b0f.jpg
6 4095982103_90182db054.jpg
7 4095982517_b9748ce362.jpg
8 4096739054_29dfb532f2.jpg
9 4090751116_9e381e12b3.jpg
10 4089984371_1c11ae764b.jpg
11 4096741624_2454a3549c.jpg
Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    So just wondering... Do only certain people (long-time members, etc) warrant comments/criticism? Not my first post that gets looks but no comments. I only ask so I can stop bothering to post here if that's the case. I was told this site is usually quite good for feedback. ne_nau.gif

Thanks
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Reese,

Don't be offended... most folks feel nervous about giving criticism to a person that they don't really know very well yet because they don't know how it will be received. And looking at this set I can see there is a lot of growing in knowledge and practical experience for you to accomplish.

Overall there are some things to work on:

Skin tones: they are all over the place... Read this tute on skin tones: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

Exposure: Most of the photos are quite a bit underexposed. And/ or the background is so much brighter than the subject... it detracts.

Depth of Field: Your background elements are trying to compete with your subject for center stage. Open it up a bit and let that background go soft.

Composition: Horizon and background elements shouldn't go through the subject's heads. #4... perspective causes her feet to look huge. Plus I'm nervous about her falling in the water since there is no grounding under her to prevent that feeling.

There are a bunch more things that you can do to make shoots like these turn out some better photos... but that is probably enough to keep you busy for quite a while.

Practice Practice! And don't give up. Each of us is on our own rung on the ladder of learning, so just pull yourself up a little at a time, and soon you'll get it!

BTW, how you receive criticism will greatly effect how many comments you receive in the future, especially if you have a lot to learn. Please try to take comments with the spirit of learning and growing intended... OK?

All that said, I think that the very best shot is #6. Nice light. Skin tones and exposure could use some work still... but it is the nicest of the set.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Heather,

Thank you for your input! That's the whole reason I asked for comments...to learn. I appreciate your suggestions and I understand that I have a LOT to learn! One step at a time, to be sure! :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hi Reese,

Don't be offended... most folks feel nervous about giving criticism to a person that they don't really know very well yet because they don't know how it will be received. And looking at this set I can see there is a lot of growing in knowledge and practical experience for you to accomplish.

Overall there are some things to work on:

Skin tones: they are all over the place... Read this tute on skin tones: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

Exposure: Most of the photos are quite a bit underexposed. And/ or the background is so much brighter than the subject... it detracts.

Depth of Field: Your background elements are trying to compete with your subject for center stage. Open it up a bit and let that background go soft.

Composition: Horizon and background elements shouldn't go through the subject's heads. #4... perspective causes her feet to look huge. Plus I'm nervous about her falling in the water since there is no grounding under her to prevent that feeling.

There are a bunch more things that you can do to make shoots like these turn out some better photos... but that is probably enough to keep you busy for quite a while.

Practice Practice! And don't give up. Each of us is on our own rung on the ladder of learning, so just pull yourself up a little at a time, and soon you'll get it!

BTW, how you receive criticism will greatly effect how many comments you receive in the future, especially if you have a lot to learn. Please try to take comments with the spirit of learning and growing intended... OK?

All that said, I think that the very best shot is #6. Nice light. Skin tones and exposure could use some work still... but it is the nicest of the set.

Heather,

This post is a great example of what makes this forum so amazing. The amazing and helpful people.

Seriously great post. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I wouldn't say these shots are underexposed, exactly (except for 6 and 7, and of course 11 is intentionally dark). The problem in some of them is that the foreground is in shade but the background is sunlit. Consequently the foreground may seem a bit dim but the background is totally blown out. When a blue sky turns greenish or white on you, it's overexposed. This is also why the tree branches and leaves in 4, 5, and 8 appear to have cyan fringes.

To deal with this problem, either get away from the sunlit backgrounds, or use a GND filter if the shot's composition allows it, or reduce the exposure and use one or more methods to bring up the foreground values. These methods can include fill flash, tone curve manipulation in Photoshop (or whatever software you're using for post-processing), and taking bracketed exposures and merging them with layer masks or HDR software.

Otherwise I agree with most of Heather's comments. You don't necessarily want perfect consistency of skin tones, since the color of light does vary in these shots, but you're letting it vary way too much. In a few of your shots, they look almost purple.

Compositionally, you have a mixed bag here. I think 8 and 9 are the nicest portraits; 5 could have been better if he were in focus. 10 frankly kind of creeps me out; from the way he's holding her wrist, and the way her other hand is reaching back, it almost looks like he's forcing his attentions on her.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Since everyone else touched on different issues, what I first noticed was the lighting. Generally speaking (in other words, break this "rule" as often as you feel the need) it will look better if the light source is about a person (think natural light). Putting a light under a person creates images that look like horror and zombie movies. Also, watch where your shadows fall.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Yeah, I'm with patrick on this one. The poor guy looks like he has a bird beak for a nose on the first one! You see how that shadow line is absolutely not complimentary to him right?

Off camera flash used properly is fairly advanced stuff. Not rocket science, but not easy if you don't understand basic lighting. My suggestion to you would be to get really good at on camera flash, using a bracket first and then graduate to off camera flash work.

These compositions aren't awful, but the exposures and lighting are pretty rough. Lot's of good suggestions here from some very good shooters so please listen to what they say. If you aren't shooting RAW, definitely flip that switch and leave it there. That will give you a lot more room to make adjustments in terms of white balance (which compensates for the color of light and helps with skin tones), and exposure. You should be able to do acceptable editing with whatever software came with your camera.

You may want to consider finding a photo 101 course at a local comunity college. That can be really helpful in understanding the basics, and get you off to a good start. For lighting tutorials and how to's, Google is your friend. "Planet Neil" has a lot of good info on using flash and you should read through that. Here is a link to one of Neil's tuts on using flash outdoors http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/6-flash-outdoors/ . This is a good read, as is most of what he posts in his blog.

Good Luck.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    A few tidbits from me, another technically unsound photographer. I'll just comment on some things that jumped out at me. The real pro's here may tell me to shut up. I'm just callin it like I see it. ; )

#2) looks like a giant is proposing to a midget. Without seeing their feet, and his feet actually being on the steps (I assume), it kinda looks like he's a literal giant.

#5 & 6) I like the compositions pretty well.

#7) he looks really kinda gay here. I don't think the pose works for his body type, or maybe for any man (unless he were gay, more power to him). The facial expression really also seals it. I would have had their back to the wall on each side.

#8) Nice composition. Maybe for kicks, could have tried long exposure to get that cool water flowing look.

#9) composition could have gone a little more toward the ole rule of thirds maybe. Maybe not.

#10) Looks like he's attacking her.

#11) Pretty cool

Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Guys, I sincerely appreciate your input (all of you). My second post was out of frustration because I was WANTING this kind of input. I will take all of it into consideration as I continue to get better at this.

FWIW:
    #5 intentionally had him out of focus. I did one with him in focus and one with her in focus as requested.

#8 was not done with a longer exposure because I didn't want to chance having them be blurred by their own movement. Is is actually possible to take a portrait shot with smoothed water and sharp subjects?

#10 is a shot that the couple was very happy with. :shrug: Everyone likes different things! Laughing.gif.

Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    As you are just starting to post here for critique I would suggest only posting one or two images at a time. Give people a chance to really look at them.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Guys, I sincerely appreciate your input (all of you). My second post was out of frustration because I was WANTING this kind of input. I will take all of it into consideration as I continue to get better at this.

This thread may answer why it was tough for you to get responses without your complaint. (or more importantly Heather being Heather, and setting her typical example for us) http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149090

#8 was not done with a longer exposure because I didn't want to chance having them be blurred by their own movement. Is is actually possible to take a portrait shot with smoothed water and sharp subjects?

Google "second curtain sync flash" and you will find techniques on how to do that. You would probably need a pod and in bright sun you may also need a filter on your lens that can cut down the light some and allow you to shoot a real slow shutter speed. It has been a while since I have done a water motion shot, but if memory serves you can get a decent effect with a 1/2 sec exposure and a really cool one at about 15 seconds. That will take some experimenting on your part, and it can be tough to control the flash, and the people still have to stay fairly still, but it is doable for sure.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Reese, in #1 the light was below their eye level, am i right? that's a nono for your average portrait. It could have also been a bit diffused.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    pgaviria, you're absolutely correct. The light was attached to a railing about 3.5' high on the couple's right. I realize my mistake now. With nothing to bounce the light back down onto their faces, the shadows are unpleasant. Strangely, they LIKE that shot as well. I offered to retake it but they were happy with the colors and look (I have odd friends, no? mwink.gif)
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    ...Strangely, they LIKE that shot as well. I offered to retake it but they were happy with the colors and look (I have odd friends, no? mwink.gif)

As photographers, we tend to be much more critical about the details than the client will! I am sure they were very happy with a lot of your shots. That's what matters. I take pics that I think are garbage and the client likes them. Go figure. ne_nau.gif As long as your clients are happy, that's great.

Then use these boards for improving your technique. I love reading the critiques on here (both for myself and for others shots) because I learn sooo much and realize I still have sooo much more to learn!

I have started to get involved with some local photography clubs and groups to learn more from them as well (hands on).
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter