or Cat with Young Girl

712430887_vwf7P-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Really pleasing composition and toning in the conversion. But I wish the box wasn't there on the left side.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    The first thing that struck me about this photo was the excellent B&W. Excellent job on the conversion. thumb.gif I agree that the composition is also very nice. Some of the candid-ness is lost since she's looking at the camera but it is still an excellent shot overall.
    Travis
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thank you Jennifer and Travis.

I see this more as an environmental portrait than a straight candid.

Probably could have moved the box, but would have lost the picture. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Very nice composition and portrait.

Are you using the green-channel B&W technique? If not, this would be a great example. I think you'll get a better face.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    No, I'm not Rutt. I'll try it as soon as I get a chance and repost.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    or Cat with Young Girl

712430887_vwf7P-L.jpg

Virginia

Good composition; good exposure/bw conversion; good granddaughter; good cat - I just wish she wasn't looking at us, because it would work much better if she weren't. This way it's a portrait that's not enough about her, as opposed to being a more observational/environmental photo of a young girl in her own world.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I just wish she wasn't looking at us, because it would work much better if she weren't. :D

Thanks for the comment, BD.

Hard to sneak up on that kid, especially when I am up close and kneeling down. One of these days she may start taking direction, but I'm not counting on it - ever. rolleyes1.gif As for the cat .....

The photograph works for me because she seems to be excluding me from her world - not including me. "This cat is mine, I am hers and you with your camera are on the outside."

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, BD.

Hard to sneak up on that kid, especially when I am up close and kneeling down. One of these days she may start taking direction, but I'm not counting on it - ever. rolleyes1.gif As for the cat .....

The photograph works for me because she seems to be excluding me from her world - not including me. "This cat is mine, I am hers and you with your camera are on the outside."

Virginia

I really like the conversion here thumb.gifthumb.gif but I look forward to seeing the results using rutt's suggestion. The look on the girl's face certainly bears out your analysis. I too find it often very hard to stop people from looking at me when I'm trying to get a candid shot. As for the box, I can't tell you how many times I don't see disturbing unwanted BG stuff intill I get to see it on the computer.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)