Options

So, I have a pirate wedding today

pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Weddings
I should have posted this earlier but oh well. It didn't occur to me. The wedding is just the couple, the limo driver who is also an ordained minister and the wedding coordinator and I will be the witnesses.

I can't say I've ever shot a pirate wedding, but I am sure it will be fun. Any ideas on cool shots and what not? :D

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    The obvious boat and water will provide a lot of opportunities... assuming it is on a boat in the water. Why don't you give us the run-down of the days events and then people can help a little more. Will they be in Pirate garb? Will the guests? Sounds like there could be some serious possibilities for some creative stuff. Old school hot-light style lighting maybe using off camera flash or video lights, or even a halogen work light if your in a pinch. Single light with heavy shadows like in 50's era b&w movies. Soft lighting was less common then and they used bright light from further away which caused really harsh shadows and half-lit faces.

Google image search is also your friend
    http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=1&q=errol+flynn+pirate&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=1&q=old+pirate+movie&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Be sure you post what you get. This could be interesting!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Oh yes, did I forget to mention this is also my first wedding as a photographer? rolleyes1.gif I did wedding videography for a few years and now I'm getting started as a still photographer. I mention this because it means my gear is minimal, I have my camera, a good on flash, a 75-300mm zoom and a 18-55mm. I also have a reflector that I sometimes use with the help of an assistant (who holds it, because there is no tripod for it yet) but I won't be having an assistant today.

The wedding is as simple as possible. There are NO guests. As I said, the only people present will be the couple, the limo driver/minister, wedding coordinator and me. The location is in a grove by a river, they also want some shots on an old suspension bridge and on the riverwalk. I tried to get an idea of what kind of shots they wanted but it seemed like they really didn't know. The groom said he'd like some suspension of disbelief in some of the shots.

They want to get married at the grove, walk down the riverwalk for photos, then the suspension bridge, then hop on the limo and drive around town. The whole affair should take about 3-4 hours according to plan.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    pgaviria wrote:
    Oh yes, did I forget to mention this is also my first wedding as a photographer? rolleyes1.gif I did wedding videography for a few years and now I'm getting started as a still photographer. I mention this because it means my gear is minimal, I have my camera, a good on flash, a 75-300mm zoom and a 18-55mm. I also have a reflector that I sometimes use with the help of an assistant (who holds it, because there is no tripod for it yet) but I won't be having an assistant today.

The wedding is as simple as possible. There are NO guests. As I said, the only people present will be the couple, the limo driver/minister, wedding coordinator and me. The location is in a grove by a river, they also want some shots on an old suspension bridge and on the riverwalk. I tried to get an idea of what kind of shots they wanted but it seemed like they really didn't know. The groom said he'd like some suspension of disbelief in some of the shots.

They want to get married at the grove, walk down the riverwalk for photos, then the suspension bridge, then hop on the limo and drive around town. The whole affair should take about 3-4 hours according to plan.

Good luck. Good job prepping for this. Way to service your client. sheesh...

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    I was asked to shoot this wedding less than two weeks ago. I did prep for the shoot, though :) I have my own shots in mind already. I can't go buy extra flashes and stands because I can't afford them at this point and the clients were not looking for that.

I will surely post a few shots when they are ready. Thanks for the pirate movie idea, I looked at some photos and got a couple of new shot ideas!

mmmatt wrote:
    Good luck. Good job prepping for this. Way to service your client. sheesh...

Matt
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    This guy certainly comes to mind. :D

Image-captain-morgan-rum-6-logo.gif
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I dont get it, what does it have to do with pirates? Or did I miss a joke? why do they need a wedding coordinator?
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I know I'm a day late, but Darren's post reminded me of this shot...
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    I dont get it, what does it have to do with pirates? Or did I miss a joke? why do they need a wedding coordinator?

They were dressed as pirates. I wondered the same about the wedding coordinator haha. I guess this coordinator had all the contacts in town, she pretty much took care of everything so that they just had to come out and say "I do" :)

I think the shoot went ok. The whole affair was very quick and the couple was kinda shy at first but by the end of the shoot they got more into it.

I'll have some photos posted soonish :)