Options

#37 - At last an idea! C&C please.

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I didn't say it was a good one, but I eventually had this concept.

As always c&c gratefully received.

"Contradiction"
711240324_aghj7-L.jpg
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I like the idea, but not too crazy about the lighting, it is a bit flat and doesn't have a pop. Also, the letters don't blend in well with the rest of the photo. Did you add them in the post-processing or were they there originally?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Try this online tutorial to make the skin pop a little more and to make the writing look a little more realistic:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/photo-effects-tutorials/applying-a-realistic-tattoo/

Maybe do the letters in an Old-English calligraphy font, which is popular with the tattoo artists.

Great idea.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    I like the idea, but not too crazy about the lighting, it is a bit flat and doesn't have a pop. Also, the letters don't blend in well with the rest of the photo. Did you add them in the post-processing or were they there originally?

Thanks for the feedback Allen. I wasn't too happy with the lighting but it was all I had available. The letters were added in post, long gone are the days when I knew people with those tats.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Try this online tutorial to make the skin pop a little more and to make the writing look a little more realistic:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/photo-effects-tutorials/applying-a-realistic-tattoo/

Maybe do the letters in an Old-English calligraphy font, which is popular with the tattoo artists.

Great idea.

Greg, thanks for the feedback & the suggestions they are much appreciated.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Following Greg's suggestion I have made a start on an improved version.

Do people feel this is better/worse and is it worth pursuing?

711532025_rmDhN-L.jpg

Thanks for any C&C.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    First one is better IMO. The letters look more real in the first one.

Try a sharpie tat and reshoot? It's an idea and since I don't really do PP, that's what I'd do.

But I like the idea very much, and it's different from what I've been seeing.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    First one is better IMO. The letters look more real in the first one.

Try a sharpie tat and reshoot? It's an idea and since I don't really do PP, that's what I'd do.

But I like the idea very much, and it's different from what I've been seeing.

Thanks for the feedback Liz, whilst I "do" PP I think faking tattoos is beyond me even with a tutorial :D.

I was trying to avoid the sharpie tattoo but I can hear it calling to me.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Having followed Liz's suggestion (I tried to avoid the sharpie but never mind) here is a new version.

I'm off to spend 4 hours trying to get marker off my hand. :D

Thanks for looking C&C always welcome.

Contradiction #3
    712720784_TthSC-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    wiredcurwiredcur Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    thumb.gif I think you got it. Especially with the the wider view. Adds more to the story.
    AndMan wrote:
    I'm off to spend 4 hours trying to get marker off my hand. :D

How's that working for ya? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Much better, but the background is a bit distracting. Some vignetting might be needed here to stop the eyes wondering off to the corners of the photo which as they are right now attract too much attention.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    wiredcur wrote:
    thumb.gif I think you got it. Especially with the the wider view. Adds more to the story.

How's that working for ya? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.
    The marker was easier to get off than I thought. By pure luck I'd used the 1 marker (out of 6 or so) that wasn't permanent - I didn't even check I thought they were all permanent. :whew
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I like this last shot alot! The background doesn't bother me personally, I think it adds to it, but that's just my humble opinion FWIW
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Much better, but the background is a bit distracting. Some vignetting might be needed here to stop the eyes wondering off to the corners of the photo which as they are right now attract too much attention.
    Thanks for the feedback Allen.
    I kind of see what you mean though, as wiredcur said, I thought the wider view added to the story. I've tried 1 vignette but I'm not sure, I may have over done it.

Vignetted version
    713124135_DZYL5-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    I like this last shot alot! The background doesn't bother me personally, I think it adds to it, but that's just my humble opinion FWIW

Thanks for the input Karin, I appreciate it.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I hate to be negative, but it doesn't work for me.

- The background is distracting and the image doesn't show the proper mood for the message.

Maybe it's only me...
    - if you feel like I'm wrong, go for it.
    - if you feel like something from what I said is right, you may try to change it.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    ... the image doesn't show the proper mood for the message...
    Well, I believe it does meet the requirements and has the proper mood for the message.
    #37 rules wrote:
    ...Whatever you shoot, your main subject should fill the majority of your frame. It should be in your audience's face as much as you get into its...
    BTW I really like the last version, definitely works with the vignette.
    Jer
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I think this last rework is the best so far. The vignetting makes it feel a little 'edgy'. This version works for me :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Cool! Do you happen to have a noise-reducing software to reduce the noise, especially in the upper left and upper right parts of the photo?
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Hey,
    I'm gone for two days and I miss so much.

Really dig the last version. Nice job--like the wider shot, like the vignette, nice job on the sharpie tattoo:) You have a steadier hand than I.clap.gif

I think it works for sure.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I think this last rework is the best so far. The vignetting makes it feel a little 'edgy'. This version works for me :)

15524779-Ti.gif and with the de-noise too :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Tatiana, Kinkajou & Jeremy, thanks for the feedback folks it has been a great help.
    Hey,
    I'm gone for two days and I miss so much.

Really dig the last version. Nice job--like the wider shot, like the vignette, nice job on the sharpie tattoo:) You have a steadier hand than I.clap.gif

I think it works for sure.

Thanks Liz, I'm rather pleased with the how the sharpie tattoo worked out (not bad for writing upside down & left handed - I'm sure some of my school teachers would have wished I could write so clearly right way up & right handed :D)
    Cool! Do you happen to have a noise-reducing software to reduce the noise, especially in the upper left and upper right parts of the photo?

Allen I didn't have until today. I tried it with the onboard features of elements then gave in & got noise ninja. Tried a few times (I think it will take a while to get the hang of it.) here is the best of them.

"Contradiction" #4
    714134249_rT6Nn-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    I am using the same thing, noise ninja. It of course depends on what the original noise level of the picture is. There is only so much you can reduce the noise by before the picture's quality starts to degrade. It has improved but there may still be some room for improvement on the noise part, if possible. If not, it is still a nice image.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thanks for the rapid response Allen.
    The original is quite noisy in the area of the face from the knuckle to the top of the "E". Probably because that section was in relative shadow.
    I'll see if I can clean it up some more before the deadline.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Looks good andman.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thanks Dave.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page