3. Negotiations
681892453_LWD5C-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I love how the boy is postured like an adult salesman in the second shot, Jack. I wish it weren't tilted so much, though, as that is confusing my brain (which isn't hard to do, I've found :D). The colors, while nice, are also fairly distracting for me. I'd love to see a B&W version if you have one.
    Travis
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I particularly like the second one.

The first one gives me a bit of vertigo too. It is interesting, because I feel movement, which fits with the crowd scene. The lady with the blue jacket just right of center seems to be distorted or something - maybe it is just because she is moving out.

And the young woman pointing her finger looks the same in #1 and #3, almost as though the two pictures were part of the same picture wide angle shot. headscratch.gif

What kind of lens were you using and how were you holding your camera?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Nice use of that ultra wide lens. It's hard to organize complex compositions with that field of view. And you have to get SO close to make it work.

1 and 3 really work. For 2, I think you needed to get the camera lower, closer to eye level with your subject.

Great color.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Nice use of that ultra wide lens. It's hard to organize complex compositions with that field of view. And you have to get SO close to make it work.

1 and 3 really work. For 2, I think you needed to get the camera lower, closer to eye level with your subject.

Great color.

Good call, Rutt. #2 is 'nice.' But #s1 and 3 are really interesting - #1 especially. You've done a good job of using the distortion to your advantage. But - maybe it's my eyes this a.m. - it strikes me as, what, over saturated?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    it strikes me as, what, over saturated?

That's because it's in color.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I like all three of the Keith's Brewery market. I think the distortion of the woman in blue in #1 works. It gives me the feeling of the commotion of the market which I know well (I found myself checking to see if I knew anyone in the crowd Laughing.gif). I think I'd like #2 more if you were right down at the boy's eye level.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I love how the boy is postured like an adult salesman in the second shot, Jack. I wish it weren't tilted so much, though, as that is confusing my brain (which isn't hard to do, I've found :D). The colors, while nice, are also fairly distracting for me. I'd love to see a B&W version if you have one.

Thanks Travis

I preferred the colors to the B&W as I felt that in #1 color showed the dressier, more coordinated attire of the elderly woman as compared to the younger one better than B&W.

In #2 I liked the boys complexion in color better than B&W

In #3 In B&W it is easy to overlooked the woman in the background pilfering a strawberry and staring at it as though seeing half a worm :D

I'll post the B$W below.

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I particularly like the second one.

The first one gives me a bit of vertigo too. It is interesting, because I feel movement, which fits with the crowd scene. The lady with the blue jacket just right of center seems to be distorted or something - maybe it is just because she is moving out.

She was moving pretty quickly towards my direction.
    Flyinggina wrote:
    And the young woman pointing her finger looks the same in #1 and #3, almost as though the two pictures were part of the same picture wide angle shot. headscratch.gif

They were.
    Flyinggina wrote:
    What kind of lens were you using and how were you holding your camera?

Virginia

Nikkor 14-24 at 14mm, Nikon D700 landscape

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    rutt wrote:

Great color.

Thanks rutt. I really appreciate your evaluation and I see what you mean about #2.

Jack
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks for your responses to my queries.

Boy do I envy you your lens.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Good call, Rutt. #2 is 'nice.' But #s1 and 3 are really interesting - #1 especially. You've done a good job of using the distortion to your advantage. But - maybe it's my eyes this a.m. - it strikes me as, what, over saturated?

Thanks for taking the time to comment bd. I have been hoping to get your impressions of my work. Your words are encouraging me to continue posting here. As for the color, I do tend to like slightly over saturated colors.

I'd like your impressions on the B&W versions posted below in light of the following:

I preferred the colors to the B&W as I felt that in #1 color showed the dressier, more coordinated attire of the elderly woman as compared to the younger ones better than B&W.

In #2 I liked the boys complexion in color better than B&W

In #3 In B&W it is easy to overlook the woman in the background pilfering a strawberry and staring at it as though seeing half a worm .

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    B&W Versions
    675420177_9TDVh-XL.jpg

674997737_4ddJ9-XL.jpg

681892308_adWRq-XL.jpg

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    The B&W are much easier for me to look at, on all accounts. Indeed it even brings out qualities in one and three in such a way that I find more interest in them. Maybe it's B.D.'s fault but the color really just does them in for me. rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    The B&W are much easier for me to look at, on all accounts. Indeed it even brings out qualities in one and three in such a way that I find more interest in them. Maybe it's B.D.'s fault but the color really just does them in for me. rolleyes1.gif

B.D. disease is inevitable. Time is the only known cure. A significant percentage of the afflicted never recover.

Color better captures the complexity of this scene. B&W helps to organize that complexity by eliminating a big element. The question is whether if focuses attention where you want it. In this case, I agree with the photographer and vote for color.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    B.D. disease is inevitable. Time is the only known cure. A significant percentage of the afflicted never recover.
    rolleyes1.gif
    rutt wrote:
    Color better captures the complexity of this scene. B&W helps to organize that complexity by eliminating a big element.
    That is a very insightful statement, Rutt, and I think I see what you mean. I can't say that it helps me like the color versions any more but it does help to explain why I find the B&W more appealing. This is a statement that I'll likely carry with me a while. Thank you. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

That is a very insightful statement, Rutt, and I think I see what you mean. I can't say that it helps me like the color versions any more but it does help to explain why I find the B&W more appealing. This is a statement that I'll likely carry with me a while. Thank you. thumb.gif

I like the B&W best. The first things you see are the peoples' faces. With color, I just see the chaos. The wide-angle distortion is a little disturbing to me with the people at the edges but it does work as a special effect.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I know it's liable to be a jumble, but I'd like to see the original full-frame shot that many of the segments have been pulled from. Either a colour study or a B&W version, or both. I love crowds.