Options

What is Photo Journalism - Documentary Photography?

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in Street and Documentary
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    So powerful. His work leaves me speechless.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I don't know if it's the mood I'm in this evening, the presentation style or the images and descriptions themselves, but my immediate reaction was that this is a manipulative series. The images and the text felt totally disjointed and designed to force a particular interpretation of the topic presented.

I'll look at it again in the morning with a cup of coffee and read the associated discussion more carefully as well. Could just be having had a top notch dinner with good wine screwing with my head.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I don't know if it's the mood I'm in this evening, the presentation style or the images and descriptions themselves, but my immediate reaction was that this is a manipulative series. The images and the text felt totally disjointed and designed to force a particular interpretation of the topic presented.

I'll look at it again in the morning with a cup of coffee and read the associated discussion more carefully as well. Could just be having had a top notch dinner with good wine screwing with my head.

I definitely think that's what it is.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I've gone back through and spent some time with the images. I like them. Some really take me. A couple of the series tell me a story in their own right. But, I'm still bothered with the way the text is presented. I feel it is forcing an interpretation of each image in the context of the associated text in the form of a single sentence. My sense is I could relate to the stories better if I could read a paragraph or two in association with three or four images as a group.