708489715_3Pnyb-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Virginia,
    I really like this set, #3 in particular.
    Like how you captured the little girl holding her baby doll so gently and the interaction of the two kids.
    #1 is a close second for me.

I like the contrast and I like the frames.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Great set Virginia! Numbers one and two are head and shoulders above three as far as I'm concerned. Number one is especially excellent. It has great lines, great expressions and just enough humor to balance what could be a sad juxtaposition of young and old out on their own. Well done! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Love #3 - it has a timeless quality. Precious.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 10, 2009
    Number 2 doesn't do much for me, but 1 and 3 are very good clap.gif. You might want to consider cropping #1 so that the child is less centered. I think it could work either cropping from the top and left or from the bottom and right. I always love receding, converging lines, so I would crop bottom-right.
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    The first one doesn't work because of the person with the suitcase in the background. You need to be a bit closer to the little boy too so we get a sense that he is the subject.

I like # 2 but would have preferred if you had stepped to the right and had her scoot to the left a bit to remove the dark glass door in the back ground. It detracts from the contrast between the girls face/coat and dark hair and dress.

The third one would have been monster if it was just the expression on the little boy's face. If you were a bit closer and cropped it around just him I think it would work better. Or maybe even just that giggle face all on it's own. :D If the boy was giggling at the girl it might have worked, but he's not and so she isn't really part of the moment.

You can see that I tend to want to edit things down to just the minimum needed to express the idea.
    geoff
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It is very useful to read your comments and impressions. Many of you have raised editing issues that I raised with myself before posting, especially the possibility of cropping #1.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    The first one doesn't work because of the person with the suitcase in the background. You need to be a bit closer to the little boy too so we get a sense that he is the subject.
    headscratch.gif The first one only works because of the person with the suitcase in the background.
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I think the crop on 1 could work. The unburdened joy of the child moving in the opposite direction of the burdened adult.

3 is wonderful. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It is very useful to read your comments and impressions. Many of you have raised editing issues that I raised with myself before posting, especially the possibility of cropping #1.

Virginia
    I personally feel that you should leave number one alone Virginia. The current crop adds tension that will be destroyed by making your eye more comfortable in the frame. I think it's an excellent shot as-is. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I like all three and agree that the woman in the background of #1 makes it. I like #2 just fine - great expression on the little girl. I also like #3 as is. She is not just observing him but seems to me to be involved.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    3rd shot is fantastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thank you Nir, Travis and Patti for taking the time to comment.

It is particularly nice to hear form you, Nir. It's been a while (or I haven't been following the right forums!!).

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thank you Nir, Travis and Patti for taking the time to comment.

It is particularly nice to hear form you, Nir. It's been a while (or I haven't been following the right forums!!).

Virginia

My pleasure Virginia - viewing your work and complimenting you on it!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I like all of them, but 1st and 3rd really make me feel smile :D
    Great conversion toothumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I've looked a few times, but for some reason, I never really saw until now.

I LOVE #2.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thank you Awais and Rutt. I love the variety of responses to the three photos. I'm not even sure which is my favorite. Perhaps a year from now I will be able to choose! Then again, perhaps they are like one's children - you love them all, but each differently.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    1. This is almost perfect the way it is...(possibly a slightly more open DOF to make the adult a bit fuzzier...)

2. I would darken the bus/truck reflection in the corner, but otherwise, there is a seriousness in this little girls eyes, a wisdom, that belies her years...I love it...

3. I'd crop this differently/burn the dark areas...but I love the juxtaposition between the carefree and the almost longing for freedom that will be these kids in 15 years...

Lovely work!
    Trish
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Three nice images, Virginia - Though 2 and three are stronger than 1. There is something wondefully enigmatic about #2.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I probably would have posted number one if I'd captured it myself. Innocent exuberance against adult encumbrance. Lovely, lovely shot.

I love the shadows in numbers two and three but they leave me flat emotionally.