Options

Fall Engagement

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Weddings
I bravely handed this couple my business card in a store when my husband overheard them on the phone announcing to their parents that they had just gotten engaged that evening. She called me the next day to book an appointment. Here are the results from this morning. I still have many more to process. I've started with some pretty straight forward processing, since the young woman declared that they are "not artsy people."

1. 713019619_M3LKx-L.jpg

2. 713095842_dnKfv-L.jpg

3. 713085419_nrBtF-L.jpg

4. 713066010_Xu4Fv-L.jpg

5. 713040458_wVknj-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    These are pretty sweet Caroline (dum dum dummmmm).

I like #1 the best. skin tones look good to me. Pose looks comfortable and fairly natural. Nice background properly exposed. Pretty straight forward non-artsy comp so I bet they love it! I think this is an excellent shot! thumb.gif

2. Focus looks a little soft on him. Pose is not comfortable looking. His expression looks pretty natural and like he is having some fun but it is squished by her as she isn't following suit. Having them both looking a little more carefree would have been better imo.

3. Not quite as good here. Squinting in the sun, no more golden glow on the skin, and a harsh shadow across his neck all scream painfully bright sun. Not bad skin color but not as pleasing to my eye as the first. Background isn't such a thrill with just water and trees split down the middle. This would be a good one to blur out the background using a shorter dof. Comparing to the first one you had that nice tree on the side pulling your eye up and across to their faces taking away some of the centered-ness of the shot. In this one it is just centered and little happening.

4. A little nicer here. Still a bit of a squint on her, a bit more pleasing background with a nice bit of blur. I think I would like to see her elbow on this one.

5. a better version of 4!

Overall the biggest thing I don't like here Caroline is that there isn't any interaction between them. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions about these things but an e-session in my mind should show love and excitement and passion and I don't see any of that here. Not meant to be a slam to you! Don't get discouraged, but try to inspire some of that and your clients will be happy you did. Emotion doesn't have to be artsy! The other general comment I'll make is maybe not in your toolbag yet, but side lighting would help his ears a lot. They obviously dominate his face. Also, shooting him more from the side... for instance interacting with his fiance mwink.gif would help. If you are using some off camera lighting you should probably use a short lighting technique on him to hide that a bit. That is essentially lighting the side of his face that is away from you, but either way try to keep him from looking straight on as that highlights the ears more than anything.

That's it! Although it may not sound like it Caroline I AM impressed! I think this is the first I have seen from you...

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks, Matt. I really appreciate the thorough feedback. I usually post over in people:) Kids are usually my thing, so I don't have as much experience with couples.

This couple struggled so much with the interaction! They kept bickering and teasing, which may be how they show affection, but it sure didn't make for pretty pictures. This also means I had a tough time getting good expressions out of both of them at the same time. I actually do have a lot of shots with him from the side, but his profile isn't stunning. His chin is a bit short and his nose prominent.

I'm sure #1 is what they will chose for their "save the date" cards.

I don't think they felt uncomfortable with the pose in #2. She snuggled into him and they were both smiling about a cute dog they were watching. It's a bummer if they don't look as relaxed as they seemed to feel in that moment.

I had a feeling #3 was too squinty. I have a different composition I like better, except it makes her rear look heavier than it is. I may just toss this pose altogether.

The only thing #4 has going for it over #5 is that he's looking into the camera. I do agree that #5 is much better.

I'll post a few more once I've had a chance to process.
  • Options
    JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    great pics, man this guy really out kicked his coverage! rolleyes1.gif

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    JayClark79 wrote:
    great pics, man this guy really out kicked his coverage! rolleyes1.gif

Okay, I'm not 100% sure what this means, but I think you are trying to say she's maybe a bit more attractive? He's an attorney, so I guess smart and successful wins the girl:) He does have beautiful eyes.

Caroline
  • Options
    JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    yup you guessed correctly... nothing wrong with it, its actually a plus for him clap.gif

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    In shots 4 and 5 his green sweater being in the foreground makes the image too monochromatic.
    In 1 her plum sweater really balances nicely with his green in almost equal proportions.

Like to add that they chose their colors nicely. having greens and purples in harmonious hues/values is important.

as a woman I would like to add that intelligence and a sense of humor add a ton of points to the overall score.

For kicks I would make at least one artsy edited copy for them to see. Maybe a simple vignette or whatever a trademark look is for you. Would love to see more.
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Nice.:D I don't want to repeat what others have already commented on so I will mention what else I noticed.

#'s 4 & 5 I really wish that her ring was turned towards the camera. I try to remember things like that when taking pictures...especially an engagement or wedding.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Lighting is great, I like #5 the best since they seem to be "in the moment" :)