Options

Protected Photo not working

jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Bug Reporting
A friend of mine notice that if you go to anyones smugmug site and click the share button and paste the link into an email and send it, once it is sent as a link you can right slick and "save as" and download the picture. I tried this on a friends site and sure enough, what ever they have as their max size you can share it with your email address and then save that picture to your hard drive.

I hope this can be fixed.

Jason
Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Right-click protection is NO real protection. If you allow sharing and external linking (which is required for sharing to work), it's trivial to bypass the right-click protection (it takes seconds). If you actually want your images protected, you must either use watermarks, passwords or just rely on the max size you make available on the internet. There is no way to make a robust right-click protection so you should not rely on it. Remember, anyone can always just do a screen shot of anything that is displayed on screen.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    jbr13 wrote:
    I hope this can be fixed.

There's nothing to fix... RCP works on your site. Not in an email you send, or a forum post you embed your photo on.

Turn off external links, watermark your photos.

RCP is only mild protection anyhow, as jfriend has explained.

Holler with more questions!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Andy and Jfriend, I understand that RCP won't help once it is posted somewhere else, and screenshot is always out there. With posting on a forum or something like that I have control though. What I would like to see is that the Share buttons link feature be turned off to the public. That way just the owners have that option. That would give owners a way to share what they like without turning external links all the way off. Another option would be for the Share button to give a link to the picture in the gallery where RCP does still work. This would let people send links of pictures to others and improve business opportunities for the photographers.

Thanks for all you guys do here with Dgrin and Smugmug!

Jason
    Jason

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    jbr13 wrote:
    Andy and Jfriend, I understand that RCP won't help once it is posted somewhere else, and screenshot is always out there. With posting on a forum or something like that I have control though. What I would like to see is that the Share buttons link feature be turned off to the public. That way just the owners have that option. That would give owners a way to share what they like without turning external links all the way off. Another option would be for the Share button to give a link to the picture in the gallery where RCP does still work. This would let people send links of pictures to others and improve business opportunities for the photographers.

Thanks for all you guys do here with Dgrin and Smugmug!

Jason
    Add this CSS and only you will see the Share Button:

.notLoggedIn #shareButton {display:none;}
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks John, that works great!
    Jason