Options

B&Ws from village...

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Me and my friend (met him 1st time) went to shoot out together. He enjoyed shooting this small village located inside our city. It is fun meeting with people having same passion living at far distances :D

712909178_Rip4s-L.jpg

712909583_YPV6w-L.jpg

712908979_v8BGE-L.jpg

712909370_nxVyo-L.jpg

712908558_S3EHp-L.jpg

712908104_JWzkV-L.jpg

712908323_Lv6ss-L.jpg

712908766_VuWrd-L.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    This is a very strong set. The first four made me think you should get better control over your exposure and B&W conversion process. But 5 and 6 are really really good, very HCB like, which is about my highest praise.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I like them all, with the exception of the image with the chairs. I especially like the man with the turban and sunglasses, and the bicycles.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009
    Excellent set. With the possible exception of #3, I like them all, and the one with the cat made me laugh out loud. Well done, my friend.
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I like 4, 5, and 7. I like the composition with the chairs, would have preferred that 5 wasn't looking at the camera, and like the cat on 7. Usually, I would have chosen back-lit photos but the rest are almost too back-lit with no detail in the shadows. Maybe that's just the jpeg conversion, though. I really like seeing photos from rural villages! Keep posting.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    The first few are nice, and as I saw the next and the next, I gave up deciding which I like the best!!!

Very nice, thanks for sharing!!!
    Trish
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Haha thanks guys, i actually wanted to give mysterious look to 1st and 2nd :D but i think it didnt work

Will reprocess them for better resultsthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    2 has the potential to be a real winner if you can get more detail on the faces and keep the wonderful detail in the surrounding walls and ground.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Hi Rutt here is the 2nd photo in color, i thought to keep it in colors to show off blue door and colorful cloths of kids.

713697892_PJuvH-L.jpg

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    It's going to take me a couple of looks to get used to the color version. I loved the texture of the surrounding elements in B&W and just wanted to be able to see the kids better. In color, it's very different.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Here is reprocessed bw version. Personally i prefer this one thumb.gif
    713710361_tZAas-L.jpg

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    You're getting there. This is much better, but I think it can use more contrast, especially in the walls.

713722959_48vNV-L.jpg

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to layer this version over the top of the first version you posted, add a layer mask, and paint on the layer mask with a big soft brush to get the walls and ground from the original.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    5 and 6 are the cream of the crop for me, Awais. I love what has developed with number two -- much better. Excellent series. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Pretty strong stuff here. I'm much less inclined to dwell on the technical aspects of the picture as I am on the emotions it brings forth in me. I find all these shots to be very appealing. Because of my predilection for life as I see it, I prefer the color version of that one shot.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Awais,

I've long admired your work and this set is no exception. I like the original mood of #2 but would like to see the kids a little more clearly without losing the darkness/mystery of the alley.

The gentleman in the turban, the bikes and the child in the last shot are the cream of the crop. clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Great set Awais!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Hey thanks guys for kind words ! thumb.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    What a wonderful series, Awais.

I like your revised b&w version of #2 very much. Better than Rutt's, I think. I find the walls too contrasty (over sharpened?) in his version. Then again .... maybe something in between? Anyway, it is up to you!

If I have to list favorites it is all of them (with #2 as revised) except #1 (just too dark for me) and #3 (not the idea, which is intriguing, but maybe something about the framing?). Oh, and I especially love the one with the cat.

Virginia

Email