Options

Shooting in the rain?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 16, 2004 in Cameras
I've been noticing how beautiful it is when it rains here. I'd love to go out and shoot, but I'm afraid for my expensive 10D and lenses. I do have an underwater housing for my P&S, but the difference in image quality is huge and the point of the excercuse is to capture the beautiful soft light in the rain.

So, does anybody do this? Short of an underwater housing, are there any reasonable measures to protect the camera/lens? I've been thinking about an umbrella, but that seems to require an assistent which would place a lot of constraints on the excercise.

(There is always the drive-by-shooting approach, but that is also quite limiting.)
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 23, 2004
    How 'bout on a tripod with an umbrella in one hand?

I've taken some rain shots even without an umbrella (in not so driving rain). In days where the lens hood can keep drops off the front element, I've actually been out with my drebel and had plenty of drops get onto the camera. I know that was probably pushing it, but haven't had any problems. I think they're tougher little buggers than we might believe.

Matter of fact, that whole bicycle race I shot down in Somerville a few weeks ago, that was on/off rain all day. The 75-300 has a nice big hood, and when I wasn't actively shooting, I kinda hid the body underneath one arm.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Plastic bag.
    Tim
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've been noticing how beautiful it is when it rains here. I'd love to go out and shoot, but I'm afraid for my expensive 10D and lenses. I do have an underwater housing for my P&S, but the difference in image quality is huge and the point of the excercuse is to capture the beautiful soft light in the rain.

So, does anybody do this? Short of an underwater housing, are there any reasonable measures to protect the camera/lens? I've been thinking about an umbrella, but that seems to require an assistent which would place a lot of constraints on the excercise.

(There is always the drive-by-shooting approach, but that is also quite limiting.)
    I saw an add in the back of OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY for a raincoat for a camera and lens for use on tripod. Or use a zip lock freezer bag and a UV filter - or a trash bag. Galen Rowell in his book about the mental side of Outdoor Photography talked about using a leather chamois to dry off his lenses in the rain. Not sure I would go that far, but a freezer bag with the bottom cut out for manual access and a UV filter seems like a viable alternative. Carry an umbrella. I decided years ago that my camera can go anywhere I can go.

As you say, an underwater housing will work - I have a nice one for an F1 Canon Wicked.gif- interested? I have not used it in years. I'll try to post some of my underwater pics sometime.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    i shoot in the rain all the time ...
    rutt wrote:

love the rain! i carry lots of different size plastic bags and rubber bands in my camera bag. and i've even modded a ziploc that works quite well:

click here to see how

here's an image i got with a baggie over my camera, on a tripod, secured by rubberbands:

3439176-M.jpg
    incidentally, this photo will be up on the kodak times square jumbotron all day monday, april 26th, chosen as kodak potd....

and here's how the cover looks:

1996116-M.jpg

enjoy (shooting in the rain) photography :andy
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    love the rain! i carry lots of different size plastic bags and rubber bands in my camera bag. and i've even modded a ziploc that works quite well:

enjoy (shooting in the rain) photography :andy
    Great! Thanks, Andy. I knew someone would have this nailed.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    I've only tried once to shoot in the rain, in DC. I think I got some moisture in the lens - I had some wierd effects a day later. It's dried out now. My solution is to get a camera that's more weatherproof! At some point I'm gonna get a used 1D with L lenses - that package should be able to tolerate bad weather pretty well, plus a few baggies and a towel.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    E-702 Elements Cover
    Just read an ad in the May/June issue of Digital PhotoPro (pg. 22) f0r a rain cover from Kata Model E-702. Available from Adorama.com, bogenimaging.us
    Looks interesting, but looks like you still might get some splash on the lens.

4125569-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    That looks pretty nice. add a lens hood and you might be OK. But what that leaves out is the wind. If it's blowing towards the camera, you'll get drops on the lens unless you turn away. Might not hurt the camera, but will mess with the shot. I was shooting an interview last week in Homer, and the shot I wanted was not possible, because a light wind and a very light drizzle combined to continually spot my lens. I had to change my shot to something far less pleasing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au