Options

stray hair removal assistance...

KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Finishing School
Hey all, I recently shot a senior portrait session and the girl had some major hair fly away issues. I tried to do some blur around the images to soften areas that weren't in the face and the mom is still requesting I fix all the hairs... I told them at the time it would be a problem but it seemed her hair was untameable.
any suggestions? THanks!!

696116765_eBHEu-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I think about the easiest way (albeit time consuming) is using some combinations of clone tool and spot healing/healing brushes.
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I think about the easiest way (albeit time consuming) is using some combinations of clone tool and spot healing/healing brushes.

I do this all the time. Healing brush - replace. Very small brush - Hair by hair. And you should charge for that - actually, you should have had hairspray available. I wouldn't even shoot if I saw the flyaways until they were fixed. Part of the styling of the shoot. And you should charge for the touchup. Your time is worth something. Just my 2 cents.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Since the background has fairly nice bokeh, you might also create a duplicate layer and use Filter - "Dust & Scratches" on the upper layer. (Low Radius and low Threshold settings) Then use either a history brush or the eraser tool on the top layer to expose the original (bottom) layer as desired.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Good luck with the hair. It can be really easy to get caught up with just firing away but the staging is crucial. Next time be better. :D

One thing that jumped out at me was the white balance. My eyes see a green cast.

Sam
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Ah, yes. I did a shoot earlier this year that had this sort of hair issue. I wish I would have known what to do to fix it pre-shooting. It was t.e.d.i.o.u.s. to fix in post. Lots of cloning and healing. It can be done, but now we both know for next time!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I'll be busy getting this done but have learned for next time. Sometimes I don't find myself critical enough to just stop shooting if it's going to be bad. I'll start to pack some beauty essentials next time I take senior shots as well.
    Thanks again!!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since the background has fairly nice bokeh, you might also create a duplicate layer and use Filter - "Dust & Scratches" on the upper layer. (Low Radius and low Threshold settings) Then use either a history brush or the eraser tool on the top layer to expose the original (bottom) layer as desired.

Thanks Ziggy, I'm going to try this first just to see if it'll save some time.