Options

Suggestions for monopods under $100?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited June 25, 2005 in Accessories
Hi,

I was wondering does any one have suggestions for a monopod setup for under $100. I would like something to support at least 13lbs, and have a quick release head. In the next few months I’ll be going to Laguna Seca and Sears, both places where I would need extra help with panning. I’m not too concerned with weight but will be carrying this monopod on my backpack. Do they offer smaller sizes for external carry?

Thanks,

Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited June 21, 2005
    Try looking in the accessories reviews, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6884
    You'll find a link the the Bogen pages.

This Bogen monopod is a great bargin at $60--here.

I presonally do not use a head on my monopod. Threading it to the lens directly
    (the Bogen's support either size).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 21, 2005
    Just stay away from carbon fiber, and this should be easy. Bogen has several aluminum options, and a basic tilt head w/quick release is only $20 or so bucks on top of that.

I bought a used Bogen + basic head for $60 on FM.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    SLIK Pro Pod 600-Highly recommended...
    My wife bought me one for Christmas a year or two ago. It's made from SLIK's titanium\aluminum alloy. Real nice pod for the $$$ (around $80 I believe). Great finish and locks. Fairly compact as well.

here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=150609&is=REG

I use it for supporting my Canon 1D with the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 attached. No problems whatsoever with the weight of that combo.

Like Ian, I don't use a head with mine.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    Great suggestions!

I have a Manfrotto tripod and liked the quality so I took a look at the monopods they offer. Since I'm going to be using this monopod at crowded events I wanted something shorter so I wouldn't accidently hit anyone when turing around. mwink.gif

So far I think this would match my needs.

Manfrotto compact monopod 680B (aka 3249B) $50 from BH. It's a four section monopod instead of the more common 3 section but is about 6 inches shorter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5535&is=REG

For the head I would choose the standard tilt head with quick release.

3229 $28 from BH.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5491&is=REG

I'll be using the monopod in the dirt and side of a short hill so I'm guessing this optional stainless spike would help with the gripping.

676SP2 $16 from BH.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=269963&is=REG

The other monopods suggested by the group were really nice but didn't offer any quick release options. After having this option on my tripod I'm really spoiled and would perfer it on a monopod.

I did have a question about overall weight limits on a monopod. The monopod I listed has a weight limit of 22lbs, but the head is only 5lbs. My camera and lens would be over the 5lbs limit, now is this reffering to the head holding up 5lbs at an angle? I assume it's not an issue since a monopod is always held in place by the user.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 21, 2005
    That's pretty much exactly what I have - 4 section Bogen w/3229 head. I love it. The quick-release head is a priceless item, don't let those other guys tell you different! :D

You may want to save $16 on the spike. That's rather expensive, dontcha think? I have used my rubber foot all over the place including snow and ice, and haven't really said "damn i wish I had a spike" at any point.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That's pretty much exactly what I have - 4 section Bogen w/3229 head. I love it. The quick-release head is a priceless item, don't let those other guys tell you different! :D

You may want to save $16 on the spike. That's rather expensive, dontcha think? I have used my rubber foot all over the place including snow and ice, and haven't really said "damn i wish I had a spike" at any point.
    Good call,

I haven't had any problems with my tripod and the rubber feet and assume they will hold well enough. It was more a thought about easier panning.

Rob
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    The two axis head is more than enough. If you need quick release, that's the one.

Save the money on a spike though and just use your foot if you need to.

Ian
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    I'm shopping for a monopod too, but would like one that could double as a hiking staff. Would any of those recommended above also serve in that capacity?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    I'm shopping for a monopod too, but would like one that could double as a hiking staff. Would any of those recommended above also serve in that capacity?
    I suppose one could. It's got a similar extending mechanism though it's probably
    heavier.

Why not head down to the camera store and try it out?

Ian
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

Why not head down to the camera store and try it out?

Ian
    Because it's at least 40 miles to a decent camera store, which would still have a very limited selection.

But our area has compensating attractions.:):

24782613-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    You might be interested in this walking staff from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/980.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPINGundefined

Tracks Sherlock Walking Staff $49.00
    Item # 471038

It has a removable top that has a camera tripod thread. Best of both worlds!

Rob
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005

Item # 471038

Rob
    Looks interesting! Thanks for pointing it out. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005

Item # 471038

Rob
    There is a review of this staff/monopod here.
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    "Try it out" monopod option
    Rob,

I have a like-new Ambico monopod, still in the box, if you'd like to try one out for a while inexpensively (possibly upgrading to pricier one later as your tastes become more refined ;-)). It includes a quick-release mount**. I've been meaning to post it in the Flea Market forum, but haven't gotten around to it until now.

The monopod features:

• quick-release head mount
    • extension to 61" (measured)
    • aluminum, 5-segment (4-leg-lock) construction
    • weighs only 1 pound
    I was just going to ask $20 plus whatever shipping runs (probably ~$5 for Parcel Post).

= Dave (photobug)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    (bump) added monopod photo & details to above posting
    (Added photo & more description to above posting, in response to a request through a PM)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...