Options

Dillon, Age 6: Which version?

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in People
I've been out practicing some more with the 50, 1.8 with all natural light. Which versions do you like better - or do they even matter? They aren't different crops, I moved in each shot.

Also, how do you go about deciding what to cull? I know that self-editing is important, but it can be so hard to decide sometimes so I have the tendency to just put them all up. I know parents like to have options, but it also seems that it may take away on the impact of the photos a bit.

C&C welcome as always.

1a.
713085611_7tWdP-L.jpg

1b.
713094124_BkatY-L.jpg

2a.
713092677_WwKza-L.jpg

2b.
712334508_GbN7q-L.jpg

Collage
713153679_ZL3sr-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I love your collage!! thumb.gif
    Of your crops, I prefer 1b and 2a.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thanks. I'm still struggling with some of my shots being a bit soft, but it is getting to be fewer and fewer of them so hopefully that's improving. The collages seem to be a big hit. It prints perfectly as an 8x10 and they are so easy to make, too.
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    if this was my child and I was picking...number 1...hands down. great photo.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    1b is my favorite. in portraits, I always prefer a closer crop. The portrait is the point--the background is pleasant enough, but this child has beautiful eyes and nothing should detract from them. Nice shot.
    Scotty
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Very cute pics and collage! clap.gif I like the way her face pops against the darker background of 1a and 1b, and the catchlights are a bit more sparkly, too. Was there a reason you converted the bottom right shot in the collage? I think it might be more balanced if all of the shots were in color or if 3 of them were converted instead of just 1. But, it's very fun no matter what! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    1B & 2A if I have to choose!
    What a photogenic little lady!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Elaine wrote:
    Was there a reason you converted the bottom right shot in the collage? I think it might be more balanced if all of the shots were in color or if 3 of them were converted instead of just 1.
    I had some more from the set with that look (it is lilmomma's splittone preset tweaked a little), and it was one of her mom's favorite so I just added it into the collage. Using different processed photos in a collage is one of those things that I've kind of gone back forth on. Thanks for the input.

I have another question. I've never had enlargements made larger than an 8x10. Her Mom was wondering how large she could get the photo or how it would look on a canvas.

I shot it with a D80, 50mm 1.8 in RAW. I did a bit of LR work on it and exported it as a 100% JPG. Assuming that the shot itself is sharp, what is the largest that prints would look good on that setup? Thanks.
  • Options
    ApertureGrannyApertureGranny Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2009
    1b and 2b are my favorites, 1b because I like tight crops, and 2b because the eyes are sharp as they should be.. The collage looks fab, but I do have a question about the one sepia...
    I would either do half half or all color...
    Nice photography!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Love the collage. Nice work.

1b is the best of the shots in sharpness and composition. 1a has the eyes too centered.

2a and 2b look a bit soft to me. The further eye is not sharp. You could stop down a bit to avoid this.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that 1a is my fav. I like 2a as well just wish it was sharper. The collage is great though! thumb.gif