Options

On the train to London

NinaNina Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Candid photography is not my forte, but I liked this one.
What do you think?

119147267.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Nina wrote:
    What do you think?

119147267.jpg

I like this - the faces say so much. There's a lot going on in this photo, imo.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    I like this - the faces say so much. There's a lot going on in this photo, imo.

Thanks Sara. I think so too, but not sure what it is! :D
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I love this picture. The light is wonderful, the expressions complex and enigmatic, the background evocative. Did I say I like this photo?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I love this, but it doesn't look real. How did you get the exposure right for the scene out the window and for the faces as well? Where are the dashes in the sky coming from? Is this a composite? If not, it's really impressive.

And I also love it even if it is a composite.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I'm sure Nina will answer your comment, but I don't think it is a composite.

The "dashes" in the sky are reflections of the light running along the ceiling of the railway car and you can see the reflection of the young woman's sweater in the window. I'm thinking that there was probably enough light from outside to explain the lighting on the young man and woman (with maybe a bit of selective brightening in post). I'll bet it is based on one exposure.

Nina?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    Thanks
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love this picture. The light is wonderful, the expressions complex and enigmatic, the background evocative. Did I say I like this photo?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia, that's good to know.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I love this, but it doesn't look real. How did you get the exposure right for the scene out the window and for the faces as well? Where are the dashes in the sky coming from? Is this a composite? If not, it's really impressive.

And I also love it even if it is a composite.

I have a confession to make, it wasn't me that got the exposure right it was my little P&S which I used to be as unobtrusive as possible.:D The light was good from the window and the dashes in the sky are indeed the reflections of the carriage lights. Very little post processing was done on the image. Many thanks on your kind comments.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I'm sure Nina will answer your comment, but I don't think it is a composite.

The "dashes" in the sky are reflections of the light running along the ceiling of the railway car and you can see the reflection of the young woman's sweater in the window. I'm thinking that there was probably enough light from outside to explain the lighting on the young man and woman (with maybe a bit of selective brightening in post). I'll bet it is based on one exposure.

Nina?

Virginia
    You are right Virginia, see my response to Rutt.:D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 8, 2009
    Nina wrote:
    I have a confession to make, it wasn't me that got the exposure right it was my little P&S which I used to be as unobtrusive as possible.:D The light was good from the window and the dashes in the sky are indeed the reflections of the carriage lights. Very little post processing was done on the image. Many thanks on your kind comments.

Well, however you did it, the result is great. Wonderful light and great detail. I really like it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Well, however you did it, the result is great. Wonderful light and great detail. I really like it. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard. I had a look at your "Stuff", loved Eneggma... very clever!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

Hi Virginia

I just had a look at your galleries and I must say you have some amazing photography there. I particularly enjoyed your people photos.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I agree with all of the above. This shot is great and your galleries are very impressive. Bravo.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I like it. Good exposure!
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Nina wrote:
    What do you think?

What I think is that if you don't normally do candid photography, you should. Very nice image. clap.gifclap.gif And you should also consider conversion of this sort of image to black and white.rolleyes1.gif There's no question I'm biased, but I believe the image is much stronger this way, and is much more clearly about the couple, rather than about the green stuffed animal and the sky.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    I agree with all of the above. This shot is great and your galleries are very impressive. Bravo.

Thank you Patty, very kind!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    alexf wrote:
    I like it. Good exposure!

Thank you Alex!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    What I think is that if you don't normally do candid photography, you should. Very nice image. clap.gifclap.gif And you should also consider conversion of this sort of image to black and white.rolleyes1.gif There's no question I'm biased, but I believe the image is much stronger this way, and is much more clearly about the couple, rather than about the green stuffed animal and the sky.

Thank you BD. I like your conversion. You are right, the B&W image is stronger.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Beautiful shot Nina!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Nir wrote:
    Beautiful shot Nina!

Thank you for your comment Nir, much appreciated!