Options

Samantha not in the garage

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in People
Played around with my AB octabox today. Samantha was a willing model for a few minutes.:lust

Any suggestions?

716519356_9cgsD-XL.jpg

716519399_ZtZhZ-XL.jpg

716519336_rWtBy-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    What a cute model. That octabox gives nice soft shadows and great catchlightsclap.gif
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Boy, that is really nice light. That is a nice backdrop for her too.

Samantha just gets cuter and cuter. You are so lucky that she is willing to model for you.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    not in the garage huh?? wonderful light none the less..very well done..
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nice work! What size octa?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Really beautiful light. Does she pick her own hand poses and things to carry, or does she just take direction wonderfully? Wow!

First one seems a bit to the green side when I look at it, but not too much. Love them, though.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Love them! clap.gif Beautifully done! Her expressions are just...perfection. The light is dreamy. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Her catchlights are impressive. Tell us more about this magical octabox! :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    These are magical. She is sooooo cute!!! I love the first one. iloveyou.gifbowdown.gif

One thing I would note - watch the ambient light. If you take a look at the first two and compare those with the last, you may note that her pupils are quite large in the last. Shooting with just a bit more ambient light will help to keep the pupil size under control - unless one likes large pupilsne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Well you both are to be commended again. Sam is so precious and such a great model. Looks like she is gonna have big sisters beautiful curly hair.

Love all of them!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    These are magical. She is sooooo cute!!! I love the first one. iloveyou.gifbowdown.gif

One thing I would note - watch the ambient light. If you take a look at the first two and compare those with the last, you may note that her pupils are quite large in the last. Shooting with just a bit more ambient light will help to keep the pupil size under control - unless one likes large pupilsne_nau.gif

Thanks, Scott.

This entire shoot was a failed exercise for me. I was trying to do a low key portrait after reading a book on the subject. I purposely kept the ambient light in the room low in an effort to have a low key look to the background.

Unfortunately, my AB was just too strong for my first few shots (seen here), and when I started dialing down my strobe power, Samantha got bored and wandered off to play with her bear in her basket.headscratch.gif

Anyway, a long winded explanation for the pupils and ambient!
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Really beautiful light. Does she pick her own hand poses and things to carry, or does she just take direction wonderfully? Wow!

First one seems a bit to the green side when I look at it, but not too much. Love them, though.

Thanks, Andrew.

The hand pose was her making fun of the models in a low key portraiture book I was reading.ne_nau.gif Samantha actually pulled it off better than the model in the book.

The bear in the basket is a common occurence around my home. She likes to carry her "friends" in that basket to go on pretend picnics.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Nice work! What size octa?

47" foldable octa from AB
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks, Scott.

This entire shoot was a failed exercise for me. I was trying to do a low key portrait after reading a book on the subject. I purposely kept the ambient light in the room low in an effort to have a low key look to the background.

Unfortunately, my AB was just too strong for my first few shots (seen here), and when I started dialing down my strobe power, Samantha got bored and wandered off to play with her bear in her basket.headscratch.gif

Anyway, a long winded explanation for the pupils and ambient!
    Failed? I don't think so. Not when you get something like that first shot. That is just sooooo .... well, I would hang that one on a wall somewhere. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Failed? I don't think so. Not when you get something like that first shot. That is just sooooo .... well, I would hang that one on a wall somewhere. bowdown.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like these shots. But as an attempt at low key portraiture, this was a failure!

I'll have to keep reading and experiment with my older kids. They can usually spare 10 minutes.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    These are great. Very cute model also :)
    GG
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks, Andrew.

The hand pose was her making fun of the models in a low key portraiture book I was reading.ne_nau.gif Samantha actually pulled it off better than the model in the book.

The bear in the basket is a common occurence around my home. She likes to carry her "friends" in that basket to go on pretend picnics.rolleyes1.gif

The entire "bear in the basket" story and accompanying photo is just too precious. You should put both in her memory book and read them at her wedding.......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Well, first of all, get a cuter kid. rolleyes1.gif

I don't have any great advice for low key. I've only done them against a dark background, using some dark panels (tri-fold project boards) and sheets for a little subtractive lighting. Nothing fancy, just trial and error until I got sort of the look I was going for.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Well, first of all, get a cuter kid. rolleyes1.gif

I don't have any great advice for low key. I've only done them against a dark background, using some dark panels (tri-fold project boards) and sheets for a little subtractive lighting. Nothing fancy, just trial and error until I got sort of the look I was going for.

Caroline

I think I need a darker background. Unfortunately, everything in my Florida style home is white or cream. This wall I used is the darkest in my home. I have a black muslin, but I didn't really want a background quite that dark.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    I think I need a darker background. Unfortunately, everything in my Florida style home is white or cream. This wall I used is the darkest in my home. I have a black muslin, but I didn't really want a background quite that dark.

(just catching up to this thread, and usual Samantha-picture raptures and gushing applies - insert here :D)

Is it possible to move her further away from the background so you get greater light falloff? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    (just catching up to this thread, and usual Samantha-picture raptures and gushing applies - insert here :D)

Is it possible to move her further away from the background so you get greater light falloff? headscratch.gif

She's about 8 feet from the background in these. I don't have much more room to move away from the wall.

I think I need to turn my strobe way down. This is an AB800 and I have this at about half power. I use these things so infrequently that I often forget how much power they have.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    She's about 8 feet from the background in these. I don't have much more room to move away from the wall.

I think I need to turn my strobe way down. This is an AB800 and I have this at about half power. I use these things so infrequently that I often forget how much power they have.
    Another option is to put that black backdrop up and throw some light on it - that will, if done right, turn it a lighter shade of gray.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    ugh, you are so lucky to have such a willing model, even if it is for just a few minutes! and I love that wall as a backdrop... whether you succeeded in your low key attempt or not, they are still just precious! I'd hang number 1 on my wall and she's not even my kid! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    How could anyone be more adorable!!! I love the expressions and the light is beautiful.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Another option is to put that black backdrop up and throw some light on it - that will, if done right, turn it a lighter shade of gray.

There's always a catch!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    ugh, you are so lucky to have such a willing model, even if it is for just a few minutes! and I love that wall as a backdrop... whether you succeeded in your low key attempt or not, they are still just precious! I'd hang number 1 on my wall and she's not even my kid! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Melissa. That's quite a compliment!