Options

Surveillence

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Street and Documentary
observing-1.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    A potentially intriguing image, Patti, with two unfortunate problems - the first is the handle growing out of the woman's head. Unless you meant that to be some sort of statement, you should have worked it in such a way that it didn't sprout from her skull - moved slightly toward her front, gotten a bit higher, anything. And the second problem is that the image is so flat - it needs some radical 'curvature.' rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Although I agree that this had the potential to be an interesting photo the thing that leaves me wanting is that I feel like this is just a girl sitting on a stoop. She doesn't appear to be surveying anything to me.

If it were me (feel free to ignore this part :D), I think I would have moved to the right (and turned to the left), to get more of the sidewalk and man walking away, and waited for her to peer out across. It wouldn't be the same image, or meaning, that you are representing but her posture seems lonely and that's the image I see.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks BD and Travis. How did I miss the handle?? Here's another go at the curves.

Girlonstoop-.jpg

@ Travis: thanks for the alternate angles suggestion. I was up against the wall on the right. The sidewalk was narrow and likely if I moved to the left to get more of her face, she would have seen me and the shot would be lost. Perhaps with more context, shot farther away.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    In the original, the only thing I see in focus is the watermark, and the edge thingy on the right (door-frame, wall, edge of picture)…

…so where is the focus of the picture?

…what am I supposed to be looking at?

…what am I supposed to be seeing?

…what am I doing here?

…who are you anyway?

…who am I?

…Nurse! Nurse! they've started again!!!!!!! …aaaarrrggghh!!!!!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    In the original, the only thing I see in focus is the watermark, and the edge thingy on the right (door-frame, wall, edge of picture)…

…so where is the focus of the picture?

…what am I supposed to be looking at?

…what am I supposed to be seeing?

…what am I doing here?

…who are you anyway?

…who am I?

…Nurse! Nurse! they've started again!!!!!!! …aaaarrrggghh!!!!!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Laughing.gif I'll lay off posting for awhile and practice more.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Laughing.gif I'll lay off posting for awhile and practice more.
    Don't do that! Take it from someone with far more misses than hits (and you should see my Lightroom... ugh), there's little more valuable than what these folks have to say (yes, even Wil :D). Keep em' coming!
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    I mean don't stop posting, of course. Never stop practicing! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I think it does have potential, and I agree with a little of what they all had to say.

I think if you would've Turned your camera to the left some more... meaning get rid of more of the wall and show more of the sidewalk... it would tell more of a story.

They didn't mean move to the left so you can see her face, they meant ... Stop. Wait. and the subject will turn her head so you can see her face on her own time. Also it would've allowed the man to walk further, creating a sense of depth in the image.

Maybe if you try taking the picture in landscape position vs portrait.. maybe get down lower to the ground (if possible) and have the woman on the right side of the frame. I know this was an on the go thing, but there are plenty of people sitting down watching people go by on the sides of streets.

What lens were you using? A wide angle lens will help out greatly when doing street photography. People rarely think you're taking a picture of them because you're pointing your camera in an opposite direction.

Shutter speed... If possible, try to get the fastest shutter speed you can. If this means you have to bump the ISO up some, do it! It will help out soo much with the focus and sharpness of the picture.

Finally, don't rush... Take your time, the worst that can happen is they see you, ask that you don't take their picture, and you walk away to find a new subject.

I suggest going out, applying these suggestions to your work, and report back with what you come out with. Don't worry too much about post processing, just post the color version.

Good Luck! And don't be discouraged to post on Dgrin. People just want to help, sometimes it comes out in a non tactful manor.

Jeremy
    Jer
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Yeah, Patti, I think your batting average is pretty good. Don't stop posting. I'm enjoying them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. It's nice to know you see some bit of potential in the work. I learn so much every time I read a thread. Remembering it all is another matter.rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography