Options

This or This?

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in People
Okay, thanks to the great critique I got yesterday I am one big step closer to finishing my Holiday card!

Elaine pointed out that my versions yesterday with the fall photos didn't meld with the cooler winter photo of the baby. I redid a shoot last night with the big kids.

I am usually a 100% natural light girl, but this time I went with my old SLR flash strapped on my dSLR. I bounced it on a piece of core foam and there you have the results. I actually got some catchlights. I KNOW I needed a hairlight etc, but since these are for the card and quite small, I didn't think it would matter THAT much. Please let me know if you prefer 1 or 2...and your thoughts.

CardILOVE.jpg

Option5Edit.jpg

I do still love version 2, but I just wanted it to have a more "Holiday" feel. If 2 is still better I will be happy to use that also!

Honest CC is SOOO much appreciated :)

As usual I'm including the larger versions of the 3 new pics...

#1 The 3 Year Old
ResizedforCardKaitlyn.jpg

#2 The 7 Year Old
ResizedforCardErik.jpg

#3 The 10 Year Old
ResizedforCardKrista.jpg

Thanks!
Kelly

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Holiday schmoliday. :D People enjoy seeing REAL pictures (especially when they're far away), and the "autumn" set you've captured are spectacular!! I think we've all done the Santa Hat thing with/to our kids at some point or another, but the pictures I go back and look at over and over aren't the topical, props-n-bribes-to-smile ones, but the *real* ones. I think you've achieved that much better with the non-holiday photos (not that the holiday ones aren't good, they are).

Therefore.... STRONG vote for #2 from me.

And seriously - is this T1i you got a few months back your first camera ever? Lady, if so, you (along with MissB and Lilmomma) deserve props as Fastest Growing Beginner Photographers EVER. Brava!! clap.gif
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    THe photos in the original are far better in my opinion. Go with those and be happy you did. They're great pictures.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    #2! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    #2!!!

Friends and family will love seeing those photos. Great card.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    STRONG vote for #2 from me.
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the colors and tone of #2.
  • Options
    ApertureGrannyApertureGranny Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2009
    Two please... Gorgeous. Forget about the santa hats and such... ;o)))
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Another vote for #2!
  • Options
    tday01tday01 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2009
    No contest.
    Not even a contest #2 is a sure winner!
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    And seriously - is this T1i you got a few months back your first camera ever? Lady, if so, you (along with MissB and Lilmomma) deserve props as Fastest Growing Beginner Photographers EVER. Brava!! clap.gif

Oh I justiloveyou.gif u, diva!

Kidzmom- strong #2 vote from me as well, but I do think the santa one of the baby is just adorable!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    You have got to be kidding me!! Its a shut-out!?! Well that makes my decision very easy :D THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT EVERYONE!! I just love this site!

I worked pretty hard on #2. I took a ton of angles to get JUST the right ones (expressions and mood); I scouted out a local pond, got all the kids out TOGETHER on the same day (not easy) etc, so it looks like it was worth the effort. I'm glad they were appreciated. As mentioned, the Christmasy ones were done in the evening in about 25 minutes...and with the black background are probabally far less interesting than the "real" shots, lol!

Diva, THANK YOU! You made my day :D I've upgraded to a 7D actually...can you tell? (I'm KIDDING!). Yes, it is still my T1i and my 50 mm 1.8 piece that I purchased at the end of July---so I've been at this game for almost 4 months now. I've ALWAYS been interested in taking good pictures..but I guess I just never had the courage to really give it a go. I was always feeling very, very intimidated. I bought a cheapo Nikon film SLR at the very end of the film era (a few years ago)...but didn't ever take it off auto. I used it entirely as a PS and yes I'm embarassed to say this... I didn't once remove the lense from the camera! My dh got it for me (as he saw I loved taking pictures with my PS and he even bought me a flash). I used the flash DIRECTLY pointed at my subject, in auto and essentially as a PS. I didn't know what it meant to "bounce" the flash...Uuugh, the ignorance!! I was afraid to mess with ANYTHING.

This time around I'm going at this with a fearless vengance. I suppose with things being digital I've been able to learn very quickly (instant feedback). My shots have improved a lot since I started shooting in M. I haven't moved off the M position now since mid September (so almost 2 months and a lot of shooting). I LOVE shooting in full manual. I can't belive I was so afraid before. I believe it was you and Cuong (if I remember his user name correctly) that kicked my rear into gear one fine day. You two outed me on shooting in Auto, Laughing.gif! I did the AV thing for a few weeks and realized I could do this afterall! It just started making more and more sense. I still have a TON TON TON (did I mention TON) to learn, but at least I'm now getting shots I am satisfied with..more or less effortlessly. In Auto I'd have to shoot a zillion to get that shot I was looking for. I am just kicking myself for not getting the courage to venture over to M sooner.

I really need to learn about artificial lighting. Right now I am only doing the natural light thing..Which perhaps will make me a more versatile photographer in the end (once I learn the artifiical lighting game, that is!). It is a matter of just deciding to invest some more money. Doing this just for me doesn't rationalize spending so much (or maybe it does). Right now I'm happy with my T1i and my nifty thrifty fifty....but lust for toys is getting bigger and bigger.

Lilmomma. I think anyone with a "mama or Momma" suffix on their user name can appreciate a Santa shot, Laughing.gif! Seriously though...I COMPLETELY 100% and with all my heart know that the baby's first Christmas in Santa garb is a cliche' shot...but you almost HAVE to do it. Kind of like the newborn in the stocking or kid with cake all over their face, 1st birthday. One other reason why I wanted to use that shot so badly was that he was actually sitting, looking at the camera, holding the gifts perfectly, and (drumroll please...) SMILING. These are not easy feats with a baby (as you ALL I"m sure understand). Kind of like winning the lottery to get a crawling baby to sit still and smile for you, look at the camera etc. You get my drift. I'm going to print out 25 or so of those in 4x6 and send them along with the 4x6 family shots.. That is my compromise, but I agree that #2 is the winner. Deep in my heart I guess I knew that! THANK YOU all again for mulling through this with me. clap.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Hey kidzmom,

This is obviously way too late but here is my take on the two. When I first saw the post today and the first card I though wow that is such a nice card. Then I scrolled down to #2 and thought WOW! that is really REALLY good. So #2 for me also. Great Job!.

I wasn't going to add my vote but after reading your post I just had to chime in and say congratulations in such a great growth spurt in your photography. It's great to hear people enjoying it so much and getting better so quickly.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    :D Thank you, Andy! Never too late for a nice comment. Your words are very kind and much appreciated. thumb.gif
    Kelly
    Gringriff wrote:
    Hey kidzmom,

This is obviously way too late but here is my take on the two. When I first saw the post today and the first card I though wow that is such a nice card. Then I scrolled down to #2 and thought WOW! that is really REALLY good. So #2 for me also. Great Job!.

I wasn't going to add my vote but after reading your post I just had to chime in and say congratulations in such a great growth spurt in your photography. It's great to hear people enjoying it so much and getting better so quickly.