Options

New Moon Campers

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Left the theater to find these guys bundled up for the night, waiting to be first in line for their tickets.

717942054_PFpQG-XL.jpg

First time I've shot others "in the wild" like this, and I did ask them if I could take their picture, to which they all verbally agreed. I could get used to this.
Fuji X-S10
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Congratulations on getting up the courage to take the picture. It is really hard - I think for almost everyone. I like the subject matter that you have chosen too.

Having said that, I'm having trouble "seeing" the picture. The people, the tents, the entire foreground are just too dark for me to tell what is going on.

And, for me. the background is confusing and draws my attention away from the folks in the foreground. (I am not familiar with the theater.)

I'm thinking, though, that there is something really interesting here.

You might consider a square crop so that you pick up just the right hand tent (and the smiling woman) as well as the poster advertising the play. Brighten the foreground a tad and see what you think.

Whatever you do, keep shooting and posting.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Welcome to a new world of shooting, Smithy. I think Virginia summed things up fairly nicely. I think this shot would have been much stronger, and naturally cropped, has you been much closer and at eye level to the subjects. This downward look makes me feel as though I'm glancing at them as I walk by rather than being a part of their scene. Excellent job getting uncomfortable, though. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Well, in all fairness I *was* walking by, and they were all a bit giggly at the thought of someone taking their picture.

The light stinks, because it was 12:30, and while the internal lights were all on, the externals were off, and I had to move the exposure a bit just to get what I got.

But your feedback is welcome, and appreciated, and I think this is just the beginning of a new habit for me. The photography I already love is catching "moments", rather than staging things in a studio or setting up poses.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com