Options

Challenge #38

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
So who else is struggling with this one?

I'm trying to interpret the "oops" factor. I think the angle I will approach it is trying a concept that I am not quite sure I can execute and hope that I get something challenge-worthy.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I'm with you. I don't do a lot of these challenges, so I don't really have any advice.
    My cats tend to get in the way when I have stuff set up to photograph. I have a feeling that they might actually get in to a photo this time.

Sorry I'm not much help.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Struggling here as well. I have some ideas but everything I think of seems somewhat complicated and may be beyond my ability to get done in a short period of time. I was hoping for some inspiration to hit me with a simple, elegant solution. But no luck so far.
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Pilznr wrote:
    I'm with you. I don't do a lot of these challenges, so I don't really have any advice.
    My cats tend to get in the way when I have stuff set up to photograph. I have a feeling that they might actually get in to a photo this time.

Sorry I'm not much help.

So that cats could be your "oops". Beautiful still life all set up and cat decides to drop in for a visit. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I have no concept as to what the purpose of this challenge is.
    Am I suppose to plan out a shot and screw it up, don't plan a shot, and shoot randomly and hope a frame turns out.
    I guess I'm just not seeing it.

I think I'll just sit this one out.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    it does say its our own interpretation. it could be a child dropping a scoop of icecream out of there cone, or the good ol slip on a banana peel. Pretty much anything u see or do that makes you say or think 'oops'. Just my opinion. That's how I'm going to tackle it anyways. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    it does say its our own interpretation. it could be a child dropping a scoop of icecream out of there cone, or the good ol slip on a banana peel. Pretty much anything u see or do that makes you say or think 'oops'. Just my opinion. That's how I'm going to tackle it anyways. :D

Nice... I like your interpretatoin. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    So that cats could be your "oops". Beautiful still life all set up and cat decides to drop in for a visit. ne_nau.gif

I think that this can be very fun and theme worthy :D

as well as:
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    ... a child dropping a scoop of icecream out of there cone, or the good ol slip on a banana peel. :D

I did a google search for oops photos and here is what I found:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&um=1&q=oops+photos&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:

Laughing.gif--even that will be difficult to capture I think. Well at least your idea will keep me from shooting with my left hand only in hopes of getting an "oops" shot. :D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:

:D
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:

That was my first thought as well. But for me, the trouble is trying to stage it since I don't see myself stumbling across an opportunity with camera in hand. Even if I did I'd probably miss my chance!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    That was my first thought as well. But for me, the trouble is trying to stage it since I don't see myself stumbling across an opportunity with camera in hand. Even if I did I'd probably miss my chance!

i hear ya. The majority of my shots are without models. With this challenge, all the ideas I'm comin up with require some action involving at least one person. I guess a pet might work too, but a lot of them don't take direction very well.rolleyes1.gif So I'm thinkin I either need to come out of my shell and ask someone, or fill up a few gigs with the remote using myself.:D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    So I'm thinkin I either need to come out of my shell and ask someone, or fill up a few gigs with the remote using myself.:D

That's been the hard part for me. I'm getting really tired of looking at pictures of myself!
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I was kind of surprised to see this as a theme considering that it was the theme for the Mini-Challenge a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    That's been the hard part for me. I'm getting really tired of looking at pictures of myself!

I get that feeling sometimes too, but then I just photoshop the heck out of it so it doesn't look like me anymore. Laughing.gif!rolleyes1.gif Just kidding. So for those of you who're havin a rainy season, I would've loved to do a sidewalk splashout. I'm sure a lot of us have done it. Comin down a narrow lane near the curb with no room to move over, and a BIG puddle of water to go through. I know I've soaked a few pedestrians. Would so love to see a moment like that captured, but definitely no rain for me in the near future. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    I was kind of surprised to see this as a theme considering that it was the theme for the Mini-Challenge a couple of months ago.

Goes to show how well I track the mini-challenges... 11doh.gif Oops?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    This is beyond hard, since "oops" is usually accidental, and the dates nature of the challenges means we have to shoot it by design. Kerry, you've stumped us (this should have been a mega round... speaking of which, when's the next one?)

I think, speaknig for myself, that I just need to do LOTS of shooting... I almost always have oopses - usually flash whoopsies that are completely contrary to the settings but actually come out right - but I gotz ta shoot to get them, and Real Life has me submerged just now... We'll see. Hmmm... actually, I wonder if there are any decent whoopsies in my recent rehearsal shoot from Tuesday? Need to go check the unrated shots again, methinks.... (or does turning up and finding the soprano 8 months pregnant count as "whoops" enough?! headscratch.gif)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I'm thinking Thanksgiving or Black Friday may present some interesting opportunities. :D
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Okay, either everyone is overthinking or I'm underthinking the rounds. These aren't meant to be tough, I swear. headscratch.gif

This is the final round before the next Mega. Mega #6 begins Nov. 30!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    I was definitely over thinking this.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I guess I'm overthinking too, because in my mind, one cannot do an 'oops' on purpose. It's not an 'oops' anymore then. Now I can think of all my previous boo-boos and try to recreate, but to me it's just not an oops anymore.:(:
    Sherry
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I think the key is that the photo has to express Oops. So looking at the photo you would know it was an oops. Not that we make a mistake in the photo, but that somebody has done an oops and we have captured it.

Dropping the Thanksgiving turkey would fall into this category. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Both my wife and I had lunch meetings today so no one came home to let the dogs out. When we got home, there was an "oops" on the bathroom floor. I should have taken a picture of it. Title would have been "p - oops".

:D:D:D

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Both my wife and I had lunch meetings today so no one came home to let the dogs out. When we got home, there was an "oops" on the bathroom floor. I should have taken a picture of it. Title would have been "p - oops".

:D:D:D
    rolleyes1.gif Thank goodness for us you missed your chance, or should I say missed the p - op.