Options

FS: Peleng 8mm Fisheye w/3 mounts

ziggy2000ziggy2000 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 20, 2009 in The Other Guys
SOLD!!! Thanks!

For sale is this highly-regarded, modern, Russian-made Peleng 8mm Fisheye lens in excellent condition.

I purchased this lens in April of this year from another enthusiast. I enjoyed it so much that I've been keeping my eye out for a good deal on the Olympus fisheye - one finally came around and I purchased it! So this lens is now up for grabs to the next player! Much of this post quotes from the earlier listing, but the pictures are my own:

http://ziggy2000.smugmug.com/Photography/Peleng/10347153_i89xn#715816933_9udjt

There are some samples of images I've taken with this lens included in the above gallery. More information and complete specs are available at:

http://rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens.htm

Included are mounts for 4/3, Canon EOS, Minolta MD, and M42, original box, front and rear caps, and padded nylon pouch. (Note that the 4/3 mount is currently installed in the pictures - the "native" mount is M42.) There are no mechanical or lens flaws. The focus and aperture rings turn easily; the lens is clean, with no visible fungus or dust. The glass is in excellent condition.

It is a manual lens, which means you have to manually focus and set an aperture ring. For most legacy/manual lenses, this can be a bit of a chore, but with this fisheye, it is hardly a problem at all.

The DOF is so great that if you preset the focus to about 3 feet and preset the aperture to f/5.6 or f/8, you will have everything in focus from 1.5 feet in front of you to infinity. If you want to play with close-up fisheye shots, you can set the Peleng to f/11. Then everything from 8" to infinity is in focus.

If you want to focus wide-open then stop-down to the desired aperture, the Peleng makes it easy. It has a "lock/unlock" ring that at the "unlock" position sets the aperture wide open, then at the "lock" position closes the aperture to what you had preset.

The Peleng is built like a rock, and feels like one in the hand. It is noticeably smaller than other 8mm FE lenses, and is all metal and glass.

The Peleng is a circular fisheye with 180 degree coverage. On full-frame sensors you'll have a circle in the middle with dark corners - APS-C type crop-sensors will have corner vignettes, and at the 4/3 sensor size the image fills the frame.

Fisheye lenses are fun to use and open up a completely new way of looking at the world. Here's a Flickr group devoted just to Peleng Fisheye photographs:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/peleng/

Browsing through that gallery shows the range of photos that are possible with the Peleng. It is a fun and relatively cheap way to get into this exciting photographic category without sacrificing quality!

$290 including fees & shipping to CONUS

PayPal preferred
Payment by check/MO delays shipment until they clear

PM or e-mail with questions or offers. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Man i'm sooooo tempted. Pondering it at the moment. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D