Options

Andy - You Gonna Shoot Christo?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in The Big Picture
Judging by the NYT description, sounds like a great opportunity.
Thousands of swaths of pleated nylon were unfurled to bob and billow in the breeze. In the winter light, the bright fabric seemed to warm the fields, flickering like a flame against the barren trees. Even at first blush, it was clear that "The Gates" is a work of pure joy, a vast populist spectacle of good will and simple eloquence, the first great public art event of the 21st century. It remains on view for just 16 days. Consider yourself forewarned. Time is fleeting.

On a partly sunny, chilly morning, with helicopters buzzing overhead and mobs of well-wishers on hand, an army of paid helpers gradually released the panels of colored fabric from atop the 16-foot-tall gates, all 7,500 of them. The shifting light couldn't have been better to show off the effects of the cloth. Sometimes the fabric looked deep orange; at other times it was shiny, like gold leaf, or silvery or almost tan. In the breeze, the skirted gates also appeared to shimmy like dancers in a conga line, the cloth buckling and swaying.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    mixed feelings ....
    wxwax wrote:
    Judging by the NYT description, sounds like a great opportunity.

i *may* give it a whirl... we'll see. i'm hoping for an approaching mid-day nor'easter this week, that ought to make for some dramatic shots with those curtains, eh?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i *may* give it a whirl... we'll see. i'm hoping for an approaching mid-day nor'easter this week, that ought to make for some dramatic shots with those curtains, eh?
    I walked through the "Gates" before the fabric was unfurled and it was quite nice.. I was actually thinking of coming up to photograph the color but changed my mind.. got too many committments here.. I think it's gonna be a hard shoot..
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif Think 'motion'? They might get shredded if the winds are strong enough. That would be memorable.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I walked through the "Gates" before the fabric was unfurled and it was quite nice.. I was actually thinking of coming up to photograph the color but changed my mind.. got too many committments here.. I think it's gonna be a hard shoot..
    You mean, you think it would be difficult to shoot the gates? How come?
    Sid.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    The Gate and Bethesda Fountain
    andy wrote:

That should be a dramatic angle...

I actually had the chance to photograph his "yellow umbrella" exhibit in southern California.

Very challenging to photograph something like this... very challenging.

I know, rent a helicopter! rolleyes1.gif