Options

Lightroom Library Question, help please

photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi,

I have been using one external drive as my main backup (working Lightroom drive) and importing all my images into LR from other external drives until I get them all on one drive. This evening I went to plug in my LR external drive and hooked up my travel drive so I could import those photos and start to work on some other photos that are on my LR drive, but all my images that are in LR are coming up now with ? on them and the message when trying to open them that they are offline.

I don't understand what I did wrong. It seem that all the other times when I hooked up the drive I never got ? marks.

Can someone help me out here? I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thank you so much!

Michele

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Are you saying the drive with the images is connected and you are getting the ? symbol? Is this on a PC? Did perhaps the drive letter change?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Are you saying the drive with the images is connected and you are getting the ? symbol? Is this on a PC? Did perhaps the drive letter change?

Don

Hello Don.

Thank you.

Yes, the drive letter changed and I can not get it back to the drive letter I was using all those other days. Is there a way to do that? I think that is the problem!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    photomagic wrote:
    Hello Don.

Thank you.

Yes, the drive letter changed and I can not get it back to the drive letter I was using all those other days. Is there a way to do that? I think that is the problem!
    That is the problem, but I am not a PC User, so I can't help with the Drive letter change. But you could repoint LR to the new drive by Right clicking on the Top level Folder in LR and Selecting the equivalent top Directry on the drive in the OS Dialog taht should show.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    photomagic wrote:
    Hello Don.

Thank you.

To change the drive letter, you need to get into Disk Management. Right click on My Computer and there should be an option for Manage; click it. Then open disk management. Note the letter of the drive that you want that LR indicates with the question mark. Find the drive in disk management. Right click and there should be an option to add/change a drive letter. Once the add/change letter dialog open, if you don't have the dive letter you want as an option, you will need to right click on the drive that the letter has been assigned to and remove the letter from that drive. Then go back to the drive you want it assigned to, right click again, add/ change drive letter, and change the letter.

I'm not sure, but i think once you do this in Disk Management, the computer will always recognize that reassigned letter on that drive, at least that is the way it seems to be working for me. It won't reassign it to another drive.