Options

Help me choose a new Logo

PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
First of all, let me thank Jeremy Winterberg for recommending LogoNerds.com.

Below are the concepts that they sent me. I suggested that they use Blue and Orange on black, but they didn't really deviate from it like I hoped they would. I told them that I wanted a logo that was professional, yet fun.

I like certain things about all 3 of these concepts, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks. Help me choose. I am allowed to make revisions, so if you'd like to see anything different, let me know!

So far, Concept 1 is my favorite, but something about that aperture logo resembles a sperm, which is weird... :feelgood Any ides to make it less sperm-like would be appreciated?

Concept 2 is my second choice, but I might have them change the font to something a little wider and less tall & skinny.

And Concept 3 is a little off the wall in my opinion. I don't really like the orange scribbly MP, but I do like the blue and purple in the swoop of the leaf. Can you think of any way to add those colors to one of the other concepts?

And one more thing, if you check out my website, you can see the banner that I made on my own. I'm not good at that sort of thing, so this will replace that.

717164076_2cmFd-XL.jpg

Which Concept do you like? 20 votes

Concept 1
25%
Pilznrdlplumerclemensphoto'sARKreationsfredjclaus 5 votes
Concept 2
30%
wholenewlightfiredancing4lifestagedaemonlisapkd2LoulouPix 6 votes
Concept 3
45%
PupatorMalteDogdotsTangoPupWebPhotoDavid78J AllenpickerbwStevenSzabo 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    i vote for 2
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 3
    My humble opinion - Choose Concept 3
    The use of the aperture diaphragm theme is done all the time in photographer’s logos. This is unoriginal and boring I do not like concept’s 1 and 2 for this reason alone.

Concept 1: This logo is fun and professional but it can be interpreted in a lot of ways. I saw a bird’s head with the aperture being the eye and the sperm flagella being the beak. This logo is confussing so I am too busy trying to figure the design out to let my brain process what kind a photographer you are.

Concept 2: Your name is prominent in this one, a little too loud. The aperture design ….you know what I think about that. The lines in the aperture are not crisp and well defined and the light blue color in the iris slaps me in the face, take it out if you go with #2.
    So #2 doesn’t look professional or fun. It tells me you shoot boring photos, the classic frontal and side shot like in schools yearbook photos.

CONCEPT 3: This is the one!
    This logo is original, professional and fun. When I saw this logo it told me, this photographer will find those unique compositions only a talented artist will see. You know those shots that speak 1000 words and capture the spirit of the subject. I was pleased when I visited your site because your compositions are indeed true to this logo.
    Also the initials with the leaf can be used as signature on your pieces. This logo also has brand presence. Customers will associate this logo with your work, like the Nike swoosh or Coca-Cola wave.

Improvements: I would use your own hand writing in the initials if it is not already your own allready. You will also want to view your logo against a white background and also in black and white.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 1
    PupWeb wrote:
    The use of the aperture diaphragm theme is done all the time in photographer’s logos. This is unoriginal and boring I do not like concept’s 1 and 2 for this reason alone.

Concept 1: This logo is fun and professional but it can be interpreted in a lot of ways. I saw a bird’s head with the aperture being the eye and the sperm flagella being the beak. This logo is confussing so I am too busy trying to figure the design out to let my brain process what kind a photographer you are.

Concept 2: Your name is prominent in this one, a little too loud. The aperture design ….you know what I think about that. The lines in the aperture are not crisp and well defined and the light blue color in the iris slaps me in the face, take it out if you go with #2.
    So #2 doesn’t look professional or fun. It tells me you shoot boring photos, the classic frontal and side shot like in schools yearbook photos.

CONCEPT 3: This is the one!
    This logo is original, professional and fun. When I saw this logo it told me, this photographer will find those unique compositions only a talented artist will see. You know those shots that speak 1000 words and capture the spirit of the subject. I was pleased when I visited your site because your compositions are indeed true to this logo.
    Also the initials with the leaf can be used as signature on your pieces. This logo also has brand presence. Customers will associate this logo with your work, like the Nike swoosh or Coca-Cola wave.

Improvements: I would use your own hand writing in the initials if it is not already your own allready. You will also want to view your logo against a white background and also in black and white.

THANKS PUB WEB! bowdown.gif
    You've really opened my eyes to #3. That is not my own handwriting, but it's not far from it. I think I'd like to cut the top stem of the script P off. It sticks up too far, and I find it sort of distracting.

I'm also thinking about changing the font in #3 to something more like the font of my name in #1. Thoughts?

You're very right about overusing the aperture logo... Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 3
    #1, maybe have another set of three flags go in the other direction, remain in the circular motion but coming from the top like the current three come off the bottom. it would look more like a badge or whatever...

#2 yuck

#3, all I kept thinking was the Rolling Stones album and a big tongue.... if it looked more like a feather then I would go for it...

"and no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 2
    #1 - Decent but not a huge fan. Reminds me of the Princess Cruises logo. How I know what the Princess Cruises logo looks like is beyond my comprehension - somehow from the depths of my cobweb brain.
    http://www.barrheadtravel.co.uk/cruises/images/cruise-lines/princess/logos/princess-logo-small.gif

#2 - I like this one. Simple. Aperture circles eye-catching but not overpowering. Not terribly unique, probably a hundred other photographers using something similar. But not with your name. It would translate well to a monochrome image for an online or print watermark.

#3 - meh! Too busy. You want people to remember your name as much as visualize your logo - don't like the subdued blue name. And the "p loop" - looks like a fly's wing. But maybe you have a new focus on nature macro photography?? Then I guess it would work fine :-)

my $.02
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 2
    #1 Have to agree this looks like the Princess Cruises logo.

#2 This one grabbed me--straightforward, clean, nice.

#3 I kind of like it, but the design in the loop of the p is distracting. Is it supposed to be a leaf? A feather? I'm not sure what it represents. Instead of seeing the word photographer in your logo, I'm drawn to that loop trying to figure out what it represents and what you do.

It's fun to see logos, I'm thinking of changing mine a bit and always like to see what others have come up with.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 3
    Re:
    Have logonerds change the font, your suggestion will work. Make the feather look more like a feather slightly. You have to be careful so the design doesn't look too much like a feather. The feather is an important element in your design and has a lot of symbolism. Interesting enough the feather means pretty much the same thing in different cultures throughout history. The feather basically represents rising to a higher place spiritually. Native Americans to the Druids to the ancient Egyptians, these cultures never communicated which each other but they have the same meaning for the feather. Photoshop even uses a feather for its logo so if you have Photoshop skills, having a feather is an added bonus b/c it says something about your ability.

You mentioned about building your website so you should define your basic design elements and maintain these elements in your logo on through to your website. This time in planning will pay off in the end.

Basic design elements are:
    Colors good site -> http://kuler.adobe.com
    Fonts Define fonts for your logo, paragraph, H1, H2, etc.
    Positive and negative space of shapes to maintain unity of your design

Good site to get familiar
    http://www.johnlovett.com/test.htm

A big mistake in logos is to give them too much detail. Logo has Greek roots which mean name or symbol. It is used for easy recognition, too much detail and it looks like a picture.

Also have Logonerds deliver the logo separated from your name or even better on a different layer in PSD.

-David
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Concept 3
    #3 thumb.gif
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 2
    I'm torn between 1 and 2. I like the clean look of number 2....
  • Options
    stagedaemonstagedaemon Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 2
    I like the vertical symmetry of #1 and the small caps font, but I agree that the logo probably isn't the best choice. I had to look at #3 for a bit before it started to grow on me.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 1
    Here are some updates that I got today. What are your thoughts?

718026795_pEHML-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 3
    #1 is clean and simple -- if your looking for simple that would be the one in my view.

I still like #3, but take that coloring out of the tail of the "p" -- I think it would look much better staying black.

My opinion tho :D

Your going to get so many idea's that it'll to be harder and harder to pick one out rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 1
    Dogdots wrote:
    #1 is clean and simple -- if your looking for simple that would be the one in my view.

I still like #3, but take that coloring out of the tail of the "p" -- I think it would look much better staying black.

My opinion tho :D

Your going to get so many idea's that it'll to be harder and harder to pick one out rolleyes1.gif

Thanks! So it looks like #2 and #4 are out of the running. I'm going to ask them to revise #3 again to show it without the coloring in the middle and maybe another version of #3 with the tail of the P shaped like a pilsner glass. That might be a stupid idea, seeing as how I do not sell beer, but at the least, it's a fun play on my last name.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Concept 3
    Pilznr wrote:
    Thanks! So it looks like #2 and #4 are out of the running. I'm going to ask them to revise #3 again to show it without the coloring in the middle and maybe another version of #3 with the tail of the P shaped like a pilsner glass. That might be a stupid idea, seeing as how I do not sell beer, but at the least, it's a fun play on my last name.

Looking forward to seeing the changes :D
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Concept 1
    Here's the 3rd Revision. I think one of these is going to be the winner.

I think I've boiled it down to 3b and 3c as my top picks. What do you think?

Is the Pilsner glass too much? I know I don't sell beer, but it's at least a play on my last name.

Thoughts?

718814577_bWjZD-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Concept 3
    I still like 3 but if it's 3b or 3c I go with 3c even though it has the aperture design.

The pilsner glass is cool if you like to drink beer or you shoot at a lot of pubs/bars or other subjects related to beer otherwise it is a cheesy play on your name.

In 3a and 3b your attention is being drawn away from center. Concept's 1, 3 and 3c all bring your attention to center which is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Concept 3
    Ok....I'm going to pick #1 out of your last choices. It's plain -- and your name is seen clearly. Since you like either 3b and 3c then I'd go with 3c. My choice tho -- you have to go with what you like :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I agree with Mary. I only like #1 on your updated version. On all the others my eyes travel directly to the logos and I don't even notice your name. They are too distracting for me. I understand the connection of the beer glass and Pilsner but it doesn't connect in any way that I can see with a photography business. I like the simpleness and clarity of #1.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Sweet, I'm glad I helped you out man! I like the one you went with. Cocktail glass? I didn't read any of the posts in here, I just skimmed and looked at the photos posted and glanced at your site. Looks pretty cool. Its really an affordable solution for a logo when the budget is tight mwink.gif

Jeremy
    Jer