Options

anyone awake that can help me with DVD burner install right now ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 25, 2005 in Accessories
Do i just plug the mother board ribbon in & the power supply for it ? Thats all i can see.

Also can that ribbon to the MB be put on upside down ? Does it only go in one way ?

The diagram shows an IDE cable & i have no idea what it is & cant see one inside. Should there be one ?

Ta...Gus..waiting patiently for a reply asap & drinking kava (if you hear a scream then i got a belt in from having my fingers in there)

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    From my seive like memory, that sounds about right. (plug it into the the mother board to hd ribbon)
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Do i just plug the mother board ribbon in & the power supply for it ? Thats all i can see.

Also can that ribbon to the MB be put on upside down ? Does it only go in one way ?

The diagram shows an IDE cable & i have no idea what it is & cant see one inside. Should there be one ?

Ta...Gus..waiting patiently for a reply asap & drinking kava (if you hear a scream then i got a belt in from having my fingers in there)
    gus,

generally the ide cable is keyed to only go in one way. check the contour of the plastic piece at the end. generally, all you have to do is plug in the power and the ide cables. is there anything else on this ide cable? then jumper settings could come into play. the jumper is the fuse looking prong on the back of the burner... hope this helps. i'll stand by for a few more minutes in case...

-jeff
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Hey Gus,

Yeah that's all you have to do.

The IDE cable should only go in one way (but it depends on how old your MB is, more 'recent' versions have the IDE cables keyed so they only go one way, but old ones didn't).

Plug it in and start up your machine, if it doesn't recognise it...and shutdown and change the direction of the IDE cable on the MB.

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Gus,

Yeah that's all you have to do.

The IDE cable should only go in one way (but it depends on how old your MB is, more 'recent' versions have the IDE cables keyed so they only go one way, but old ones didn't).

Plug it in and start up your machine, if it doesn't recognise it...and shutdown and change the direction of the IDE cable on the MB.

Hope this helps,

David
    Thanks for a fast reply guys...

David is the IDE cable that you refer to the actual ribbon cable ? The one that is 2" wide ?

My machine is 6 months old..2.4 ghz so its reletivly new.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

David is the IDE cable that you refer to the actual ribbon cable ? The one that is 2" wide ?

yeah
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

yes
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    gus,

generally the ide cable is keyed to only go in one way. check the contour of the plastic piece at the end. generally, all you have to do is plug in the power and the ide cables. is there anything else on this ide cable? then jumper settings could come into play. the jumper is the fuse looking prong on the back of the burner... hope this helps. i'll stand by for a few more minutes in case...

-jeff
    All i have mate is the power supply & that 2" wide ribbon cable...there are some other smaller holes on the back of the burner marked 'digital out'..audio out'..analog cable select'

...but i can only find that ribbon cable & power cable. Will those 2 do the job?

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    yes
    sandshoe grasshopper...you want big power then im your man but this finiky stuff baffles me a bit.
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    All i have mate is the power supply & that 2" wide ribbon cable...there are some other smaller holes on the back of the burner marked 'digital out'..audio out'..analog cable select'

...but i can only find that ribbon cable & power cable. Will those 2 do the job?

Gus
    should be good to go. i only mention jumpers because that has been a common cause of a few of my installs going pear shaped. looks like your are in more than good hands with david so i'm off to bed. good luck gusthumb.gif

-jeff
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    sandshoe grasshopper...you want big power then im your man but this finiky stuff baffles me a bit.
    Gus,

are you replacing an existing CD/DVD or adding an additional one ?

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Gus,

are you replacing an existing CD/DVD or adding an additional one ?

David
    Putting a new burner in mate...never had one before.

Up & burning guys...thanks heaps

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Hmm..headscratch.gif now my E drive (dvd/cd) player has gone walk-about. Cant find it anywhere. Conflict maybe ?

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Hmm..headscratch.gif now my E drive (dvd/cd) player has gone walk-about. Cant find it anywhere. Conflict maybe ?

Gus
    Hmm...headscratch.gif

Did you unplug anything on the MB to plug in the IDE cable ?

If not, just check that IDE and power cables are attached properly to your old E drive.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Hmm...headscratch.gif

Did you unplug anything on the MB to plug in the IDE cable ?

If not, just check that IDE and power cables are attached properly to your old E drive.

David
    Did that ..while it was turned on...what a spark. It shut down for a while but all is ok again. I have 2 HD's (C&D) so i assume the dvd player that has been in for a while (not the new burner) is E drive. It does not recognise the E drive at all.

Maybe i should try a known worker like a game in it to see if it survived the spark.

I have had way too much kava to be doing this late at night.

Will report back after recon.

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Yep..delta goodrum CD just fired up ok so i assume it was something to do with the writting on the new DVD writter..

Will keep trying

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep..delta goodrum CD just fired up ok
    Not sure i would admit that rolleyes1.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Not sure i would admit that rolleyes1.gif
    If you happen to have an 11 year old girl living with you then one of her CD's is always lying within arms reach. White zombie is in MY draw.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    If you happen to have an 11 year old girl living with you then one of her CD's is always lying within arms reach. White zombie is in MY draw.
    hehe...ok i believe u mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    Gus,

If you have 2 HDs and an existing CD drive, you are adding a "slave" drive to the second controller port. You need to change a jumper on the back of the new DVD burner to its "Slave" position. Let me know if that doesn't work (in case you have a "Cable Select" cable.)

Also, and as you discovered, "never ever" plug or unplug devices while the power in on the computer. You can toast the whole machine. I even unplug the power to the computer, to make sure nothing is "hot" electrically.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Gus,

If you have 2 HDs and an existing CD drive, you are adding a "slave" drive to the second controller port. You need to change a jumper on the back of the new DVD burner to its "Slave" position. Let me know if that doesn't work (in case you have a "Cable Select" cable.)

Also, and as you discovered, "never ever" plug or unplug devices while the power in on the computer. You can toast the whole machine. I even unplug the power to the computer, to make sure nothing is "hot" electrically.

ziggy53
    Thanks ziggy...this sounds like my problem. What is the 'jumper' i only have the power & that big flat wide cable.

Is the jumper one of the cables currently plugged into my DVD/CD player ?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    God i hate dial-up !!

Does this look like what i need to do ?
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks ziggy...this sounds like my problem. What is the 'jumper' i only have the power & that big flat wide cable.

Is the jumper one of the cables currently plugged into my DVD/CD player ?
    Here's your jumper mate; the little white plug in the middle of the set of terminals.

25828337-L.jpg Please forgive the OF picture by I was in a hurry.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    YES. Exactly what you need to do. If you don't set the slave and master designations it wont work.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    The DVD burner should have instructions as to how to set the jumpers. Here's an old WD hard drive:

25829737-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Thanks guys...all very helpfull. The only instruction in the box is to have both my original DVD/CD player & the new DVD burner opposite (ie one as master & one as slave)..not written very clearly at all.

Will give it a burl now & see what that brings.

Gus
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Hey gus did you see my kiwi jokes? I'm awaiting further instructions.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Hey gus did you see my kiwi jokes? I'm awaiting further instructions.
    Burner now doing well...a huge thanks to all whom helped.

Dragon...you now need to locate a dogs eye & totally drown it in dead horse.

...let me know once you have finished.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    I'm removing the pictures I posted since the problem seems to be solved.