Options

Yearning For Jerusalem No More

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in Street and Documentary
The Ethiopian Jewish community, called Beta-Israel, lived in seclusion for over 1,000 years, only reconnecting to the Jewish world in the late 20th century. According to Ethiopian tradition, their roots go back 3,000 years to the era of King Solomon. Like their brethren in many parts of the world, Ethiopian Jews suffered persecution for their beliefs and refusal to adopt Christianity. In the Middle Ages their lands were confiscated, villages plundered and many murdered. They were nicknamed Falash - intruders, homeless and without property. Despite the hardships, this community preserved their traditions with great devotion and generations were educated on the value of yearning for a return to Jerusalem, The Holy City, home of The Temple, pure and holy. The Sigd celebrations, Sigd meaning "to bow or prostate oneself", convey their love and yearning for Jerusalem.

Traditionally the celebrations took place on a hilltop looking toward Jerusalem,signifying a renewal of the bond with God. Now, with a community of over 150,000 in Israel the main event takes place annually at the Sherover Promenade in Jerusalem, overlooking The Temple Mount.Thousands followed the Kessim, the religious leaders, and gathered in the late morning hours in colorful traditional garments or in whites signifying purity, to pray and give thanks. Guests of honor included Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat.

The yearning for Jerusalem has become a reality. Israeli-born offspring to Ethiopian Jews are finding it more and more difficult to identify with the aspirations of their forefathers. First signs are evident that this ancient ethnic celebration of hope and faith might one day be forgotten.

715906718_wX5oH-M-1.jpg

715908875_FWeAR-M-1.jpg

715908510_9sRxM-M-1.jpg

715907033_t4YMr-M-1.jpg

715907695_59Xoa-M-1.jpg

715909268_Ytwty-M-1.jpg

715909074_rdCs2-M-1.jpg

715908634_LdT3s-M-1.jpg

715908271_6HaKy-M-1.jpg

715908065_nrDoA-M-1.jpg

715906469_Uf6vF-M-1.jpg

715906210_4AWJd-M-1.jpg

715905673_PfHJx-M-1.jpg

715905450_Hoowz-M-1.jpg

The 35mm f/2 was a pleasure to work with! Light and extremely mobile hanging on my neck – I could easily raise it quickly to get the shot I wanted without scaring off the subject. Some shots were even framed from the chest. I love the shallow depth of field! Most of the work was done at f2.5 ISO100 with very high shutter speeds. Close and intimate!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    It looks like you've got some great pics there, Nir. Unfortunately, I can't seem em' for the watermark! rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nir, thanks for the shots. The series worked well for me, the elder traditions and the youth in modern clothing. I don't generally think of loss of Jewish/Cultural identity with making aliyah.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nir, great to see you in Street & PJ! I've been wondering when you'd find us.

This is a very interesting story and the pictures and text complement each other perfectly. I hope B.D. agrees. He has a theory of how this should work which I'm sure he can articulate better than I can.

Many very nice images here:

715906718_wX5oH-Th-1.jpg715909074_rdCs2-Th-1.jpg715906469_Uf6vF-Th-1.jpg715906210_4AWJd-Th-1.jpg715905673_PfHJx-Th-1.jpg

I have to agree with Travis, the small size and intrusive watermark combine to make it hard to see your beautiful work. In fact the thumbs, which are not watermarked by smugmug are easier to see.

I looked at your blog as well and liked what I saw.

It wasn't clear from what you posted here which lens/camera you are talking about. Perhaps you have a link to a different thread somewhere else?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nir,

Thank you for sharing the story and the wonderful photographs. I really enjoyed both. That lens served you really well.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nir wrote:
    The Ethiopian Jewish community, called Beta-Israel, lived in seclusion for over 1,000 years, only reconnecting to the Jewish world in the late 20th century. According to Ethiopian tradition, their roots go back 3,000 years to the era of King Solomon. Like their brethren in many parts of the world, Ethiopian Jews suffered persecution for their beliefs and refusal to adopt Christianity. In the Middle Ages their lands were confiscated, villages plundered and many murdered. They were nicknamed Falash - intruders, homeless and without property. Despite the hardships, this community preserved their traditions with great devotion and generations were educated on the value of yearning for a return to Jerusalem, The Holy City, home of The Temple, pure and holy. The Sigd celebrations, Sigd meaning "to bow or prostate oneself", convey their love and yearning for Jerusalem.

Traditionally the celebrations took place on a hilltop looking toward Jerusalem,signifying a renewal of the bond with God. Now, with a community of over 150,000 in Israel the main event takes place annually at the Sherover Promenade in Jerusalem, overlooking The Temple Mount.Thousands followed the Kessim, the religious leaders, and gathered in the late morning hours in colorful traditional garments or in whites signifying purity, to pray and give thanks. Guests of honor included Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat.

The yearning for Jerusalem has become a reality. Israeli-born offspring to Ethiopian Jews are finding it more and more difficult to identify with the aspirations of their forefathers. First signs are evident that this ancient ethnic celebration of hope and faith might one day be forgotten.

The 35mm f/2 was a pleasure to work with! Light and extremely mobile hanging on my neck – I could easily raise it quickly to get the shot I wanted without scaring off the subject. Some shots were even framed from the chest. I love the shallow depth of field! Most of the work was done at f2.5 ISO100 with very high shutter speeds. Close and intimate!

Very nice series. I have a couple of thoughts.

First, please, please, please get rid of the water marks. Sure, they keep people from stealing the images - but they also keep people from appreciating them. I'd just put them up at 72 dpi and figure that if someone steals them, they can at best only steal them for web use;

Second, I'd ease up on the vigneting - I don't know whether you're buring some of these way down in the corners, or you've got a problem with a lens shade or lens, but I'd try to eliminate it;

And, finally, if you're working to tell the story of this community, I'd go beyond the religious ceremonies, and show these folks in their daily lives, their home and work environments, as well as as their religious observance.

Again, nice images - I look forward to seeing more.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your comments!

Watermarks will have to stay, sorry (long story). Even 72dpi web-use is something I need to get paid for mwink.gif . But I will try to remember to post larger images in the future (didn't realize medium size were showing up too small).

Rutt, I shot with the Canon 5D with an EF 35mm f2 prime. Most of the shots at f2.5 ISO100 with pretty fast shutter speeds. Really enjoyed working intensively with this lens 'in close' and I'm happy with the results.

B.D. - no problem with the lens nor hood - I take full responsibility for the vignetting. Overdid it a bit maybe, huh?!

Andrew, Israel is a melting pot of cultures and identities with a strong tendency toward modern 'Western' culture. A lot is lost in this path, but of course, a lot is also gained!

Not sure about the idea of a long-term project documenting the lives of Ethiopian Jews in Israel. It's been done before but I'll give it some thought and look out for an opportunity. Thanks!

But while on the subject, in 2007 I attended an exhibition by renown photographer Ziv Koren called "400 years in a 4-hour flight" documenting immigration of Jews from Ethiopia
    see http://www.zivkoren.com -> Portfolio -> Reportage -> Falashmura
    He's an amazing photojournalist! Worth your time!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    B.D.,

Small web use - paid for!

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/
    19-Nov-2009

718204248_A6c6P-L.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Thanks for sharing these along with interesting history ! I never heard about Ethiopian Jewish community before.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    It looks like you've got some great pics there, Nir. Unfortunately, I can't seem em' for the watermark! rolleyes1.gif

+1 Great shots, I am sure! Would love to see them without the watermark!
  • Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Thanks for sharing these along with interesting history ! I never heard about Ethiopian Jewish community before.

If I am not mistaken, the Ethiopian Jewish community also claims to be in possession of the Ark of the Covenant.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    BMW Kurt wrote:
    If I am not mistaken, the Ethiopian Jewish community also claims to be in possession of the Ark of the Covenant.

That's the shot I want to get!! wings.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts