Options

Canon 20D - c.fn #12 Mirror Lockup ??

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited June 28, 2005 in Cameras
" c.fn #12 enable mirror lockup for nightshots "

I noticed in a post by USAIR that he said he sometimes uses this function but other times uses the camera timer to do night shots........

Would someone be so kind as to explain in simple terms the use of locking up the mirror..........well I guess what I'm asking is what is the best way to take night shots, including using a tripod, or if you use a remote control, etc.

If you lock the mirror up can you still use AV Mode? or do you have to use Manual Mode ??

If you use the Mirror Lockup Method, does the camera still perform exactly the same way ?????

Any thoughts on this subject ??? feed back greatly appreciated.

Thank you .......... Skippy (Australia)
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    mirror lockup
    i moved the thread to the cameras forum, and gave it a title that's meaningful....

now - when you enable mlu (mirror lockup), the first press of the shutter button or remote causes the mirrot to go up, the second press actually opens the shutter. the purpose of this feature is to remove the last chance of slight vibration caused by mirror slap. this is really only used when shooting tripodded, skippy.

does this help?
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks Andy
    andy wrote:
    i moved the thread to the cameras forum, and gave it a title that's meaningful....

now - when you enable mlu (mirror lockup), the first press of the shutter button or remote causes the mirrot to go up, the second press actually opens the shutter. the purpose of this feature is to remove the last chance of slight vibration caused by mirror slap. this is really only used when shooting tripodded, skippy.

does this help?
    Thank you Andy, I need to give that a try....... I have never really looked into any of the c.fn settings till I saw someone post about them today.

Are there some I should be using??? Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Are there some I should be using??? Skippy (Australia)

take a look here...
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    What Am I looking at ??
    andy wrote:
    take a look here...
    there's nothing there ??? Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Skippy
    One more thing when you have the 20d set to self timer and c.fn 12 set to enable it shortens the time to trip the shuter

If you shoot nightshots with the mirror lockup disabled then the 20d timer takes long time to trip the shutter
    Just give it a try both ways and you see how it works:D

I use it on nightshots on a tripod

A better way to go would be the timer remote or the remote switch $133 and $50
    I will at some time have the timer remote I think..but thats just one more thing to carry around eek7.gif

Fred
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    there's nothing there ??? Skippy (Australia)

fixed.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Now That I Have :)
    USAIR wrote:
    One more thing when you have the 20d set to self timer and c.fn 12 set to enable it shortens the time to trip the shuter

If you shoot nightshots with the mirror lockup disabled then the 20d timer takes long time to trip the shutter
    Just give it a try both ways and you see how it works:D

I use it on nightshots on a tripod

A better way to go would be the timer remote or the remote switch $133 and $50
    I will at some time have the timer remote I think..but thats just one more thing to carry around eek7.gif

Fred
    Thanks Fred I have a remote for my Canon 20D :D
    So no need to do the mirror lock up thing??? Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Skippy, you still need to "do the mirror lock up thing". Or, a better way to phrase it is, it's *better* to do the mirro lock up thing-even on a tripod and even with a remote release.

If you are shooting very long exposure the mirror lock up will eliminate any chance that the mirror slap will cause vibration and ruin the shot. With very long exposures something as simple as a slamming door or a truck rumbling by can setoff a vibration that will affect the pic.

Now, I'm not sure what the critical point is, but when you get into long exposures over say a second, this all becomes very important. Maybe someone can tell us at what point the mirror lockup becomes necessary.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Now, I'm not sure what the critical point is, but when you get into long exposures over say a second, this all becomes very important. Maybe someone can tell us at what point the mirror lockup becomes necessary.
    From a thread on the 300D in another forum, the consensus seemed to be that MLU was not necessary outside the range 2 secs to 1/15th sec exposure.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Skippy
    Skippy wrote:
    Like Mongrel said I also think it's a good idea to use it
    My point was that you kill two birds with one stone

Without the remote you must use the camera timer
    If you set the mirror lock on then you don't have to wait as long to take the shot :D

I don't have the remote but I would think that you press the button once to make the mirror go up then press again to take the shot

Fred
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Thank You Mongrel
    Mongrel wrote:
    Skippy, you still need to "do the mirror lock up thing". Or, a better way to phrase it is, it's *better* to do the mirro lock up thing-even on a tripod and even with a remote release.

If you are shooting very long exposure the mirror lock up will eliminate any chance that the mirror slap will cause vibration and ruin the shot. With very long exposures something as simple as a slamming door or a truck rumbling by can setoff a vibration that will affect the pic.

Thank you.......... interesting to see different views on this, but if it is for the better no harm in doing then hu :D I need to give it a try and see how it works........you folks are so full of information aren't yas :D
    Skippy (Australia)