721293571_xV5rj-M-1.jpg

721311770_C7hBv-M.jpg

721328324_TBEnb-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    William,

I see from your site that you're selling these images for profit - so the critique is a bit higher:

Photo 1: too far away. Action needs to fill the frame and it doesn't even fill 1/2 the frame in this shot.

Photo 2: Nice action and fills the frame but it's way too underexposed - you can't see the face at all. You're a stop and a half underexposed - to be expected when shooting at f4.5 instead of f2.8. Jersey exposure is irrelevant - it's faces that matter and you can't see the face.

Photo 3: Nothing interesting here. Side of the player, no face, no action

Photo 4: nice action but again, too far away and underexposed. You need the action to fill the frame and you need to be able to see faces.

photo 5: nothing very interesting here - a lot of dead space on top/bottom and not very interesting action.

Photo 6: Timing is off - ball isn't in the frame and you're shooting behind the punter - you want his face and the ball in the frame. Also, as with the other shots - it's underexposed.

Photo 7: nothing interesting. Also the subjects still need to fill the frame

All in all, you need to be much closer to the action for 200mm to work, you need wider apertures (f2.8) and probably external flash to boot if you want to make quality saleable images during night time HS football. Unfortunately you're going to need to upgrade in equipment to shoot low light. OR, if you want to sell, then shoot sports in good lighting until you can afford the equipment necessary for low light.

Here's a simple example of what I'm talking about - filling the frame and exposing properly for faces (in this case using external flash):
    391095297_WPiJH-L.jpg
  • Options
    WillieCWillieC Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    thanks john
    ya i only have a f/4 so it is really hard to get a good exposure
    but i dont really intend to sell these photos
    my school just asked me to take them

but thanks for the tips
    the next photos i take will defiantly incorporate your tips