Options

Portsmouth in the storm

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited November 23, 2009 in Landscapes
Recently we have had a succesion of storms blowing through from the Atlantic. This has eased off for a short while to be replaced by sharp heavy downpours. I took these images today off Portsdown Hill looking toward Portsmouth Harbour and thought I would share them with you.
The actual storm centre was to the south of The Isle of Wight but the fringes caught both the island and Portsmouth. Where I was standing was in sunshine:ivar

720726454_aNcDC-XL.jpg

This comprises 21 portrait images stitched together to form this panorama.

720755060_UkAhW-XL.jpg

This image concentrates on the dock area and city of Portsmouth. The rain has caused the colours to be very muted. The IOW can just be made out behind the Spinnaker Tower on the right of the image. The contrast of the sea conditions in the harbour with that in the solent can clearly be seen.

Comments

• Options
    GliebsterGliebster Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Wow 21 stitched together. That's a big long panoramic.

The blue and green hues that pop out in these are great. Good shots.
    Steven Gliebe
    www.StormSpectator.com - see and upload storm photos
    My flickr Photostream (sudste)
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Ah good old Pompey! (Love the clouds in #1)

I'm surprised that you didn't suddenly feel the firm hand of a man in a blue uniform on your shoulder…

"…excuse me sir, but if you'd like to come along with me and explain exactly what you were doing taking pictures of Her Majesty's Naval Dockyard…"

uh oh… eek7.gif

Nice light!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Thank you Steven and Wil. What I was really pleased about is that #1 came out with little wastage even though all 21 images were shot hand-held.

I am finding making multi-shot panoramas is getting easier. I get the exposure in the brightest area I intend to shoot in. Note the shutter speed, set the focus on an object I want to be sharp. Find a site-line to act as a guide to ensure the camera shots are straight and in line with each other. Then the camera is switched to manual mode, shutter set to the noted value then start shooting with about a 20-25% overlap.

Wil, if the boys in blue saw me they would have been worried about my mental state attempting to take photos in those weather conditions:cry:D.

It was the contrast in weather that attracted me to take these panoramas.

Thanks for viewing and commenting