Can't choose an image for "Single Photo or Video" feature on home page

margauxmargaux Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 23, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I'm customizing jacquielabatt.smugmug.com, and I'm trying to use the “Single Photo or Video” feature on the home page.

When I try to pick a photo in the pop-up window, I can navigate to a gallery and see the thumbnails, but clicking on any image does nothing. There are also no other UI buttons in the window (such as "cancel") which I would expect.

Is this feature broken in Mozilla browsers?

I've tried with both Firefox 3.5.5 and Safari 4.0.3. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Comments

• MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    margaux wrote:
    ...clicking on any image does nothing. There are also no other UI buttons in the window (such as "cancel") which I would expect.

I am also getting no feedback when clicking the thumbnails in this dialog. The thumbnail you click does get selected though. I on the other hand have the "Cancel" and "Save" buttons.

Malte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    margaux wrote:
    I'm customizing jacquielabatt.smugmug.com,

With this CSS that you have added, you removed a very important part

h1 { width: 1080px; margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px 0; position: relative; }

of the choose photo dialog. Comment that out and see.
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    With this CSS that you have added, you removed a very important part

h1 { width: 1080px; margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px 0; position: relative; }

of the choose photo dialog. Comment that out and see.

I don't have this CSS and there is no feedback when clicking a thumbnail that it has been selected.

Malte
    edited November 23, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I don't have this CSS and there is no feedback when clicking a thumbnail that it has been selected.

Malte
    Right.

I was not referring to what you posted, Malte. Stay tuned for doc.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 23, 2009
    Malte,

All but a couple of your galleries are passworded. Security settings trump sharing features. So you would need to put the photos in a public gallery or make the gallery public. You can make the gallery unlisted. But hiding a photo, or making it passworded would not let it show.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited November 23, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Malte,

All but a couple of your galleries are passworded. Security settings trump sharing features. So you would need to put the photos in a public gallery or make the gallery public. You can make the gallery unlisted. But hiding a photo, or making it passworded would not let it show.

--Doc
    Doc, let's ask Schmoo to update our help page on this, k?
    edited November 23, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Malte,

--Doc

This is the gallery I'm testing with: http://malte.smugmug.com/SmugMug/Customization/Homepage-slideshow/10063608_qJu3X . It's unlisted, not password protected, and I do get the image I select to display when I'm logged out. What I'm trying for here is that there is simply no feedback to tell me that the thumbnail I have clicked has "taken". For nothing to happen when something is done, just isn't intuitive, in my opinion atleast. Think of the red border highlights we get when selecting thumbs in the bulk delete tool. I'd like it like that, except pretty. deal.gifbow

Malte
    edited November 23, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    This is the gallery I'm testing with: http://malte.smugmug.com/SmugMug/Customization/Homepage-slideshow/10063608_qJu3X . It's unlisted, not password protected, and I do get the image I select to display when I'm logged out. What I'm trying for here is that there is simply no feedback to tell me that the thumbnail I have clicked has "taken". For nothing to happen when something is done, just isn't intuitive, in my opinion atleast. Think of the red border highlights we get when selecting thumbs in the bulk delete tool. I'd like it like that, except pretty. deal.gifbow

Malte
    Yeah that's not a bug, you click the photo then click save. I'll ask our experts if there's a way to improve this!
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Doc, let's ask Schmoo to update our help page on this, k?

I feel like I'm not even speaking English... :cry

Malte
    edited November 23, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I feel like I'm not even speaking English... :cry

Malte
    Malte, we understand you perfectly. There are several things going on here, one is that we could use some more beef on the help page.

The 2nd thing is there might be a way to better give feedback to you when you choose the photo.

I get it, Malte.
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah that's not a bug, you click the photo then click save. I'll ask our experts if there's a way to improve this!

First off, thank you! iloveyou.gif

Call it whatever you like. I guess it's a feature request then. Margaux reported this thing and I was just filling in that I have the same behaviour except the buttons.

Malte
    edited November 23, 2009
    Malte, the feedback is we change the image border but you have CSS that blocks it

a img.imgBorder, .imgBorder { border: none !important; background-color: transparent !important; padding: 0px !important; }
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Malte, the feedback is we change the image border but you have CSS that blocks it

a img.imgBorder, .imgBorder { border: none !important; background-color: transparent !important; padding: 0px !important; }

Hu, what do you know, so I do! Well that's got to be just silly right? eek7.gif The whole reason I wanted EZC so much was thinking that that's the way I can customize without breaking any core functionality of the site. :cry

Is this going to be the way we highlight everywhere going forward? I can still see the the yellow/red highlighting of bulk selections, like keyword and delete.

I tried to experiment in EZC but there seems to be no way that "Use custom photo borders" can be ticked under Photos, and have this selection work.

Malte
  • margauxmargaux Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2009
    Inline styles in conflict
    Thanks for all the replies.

I dug around with a DOM inspector and figured out that if I remove the padding on h1 for the yui panel, the bottom UI row has space to appear.

And yes, I have turned off borders on images, too. That’s too bad. I’d rather have the border off everywhere, I guess, than turn it back on so the yui works. Wish there was some other way of targetting those thumbnails rather than using a img. Oh well.