sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Quincy Market.

Well if it isn't Rami Salami!! I had a student last spring who did her project on Rami. Nice portrait of him...and I like the fact that he looks so serious.....clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well if it isn't Rami Salami!! I had a student last spring who did her project on Rami. Nice portrait of him...and I like the fact that he looks so serious.....clap.gifclap.gif
    Hi, BD - yes, none other. I was at Quincy Mkt the other day, was discouraged, thinking I had come home with nothing (how can you come home from Quincy Mkt/Haymarket on a Saturday afternoon with nothing?), but after sitting with this one in LR - cropped a bit, converted to BW - I fell in love with this guy.

You hit on precisely why I love this photo - not only is he serious, but I would venture that this is a very sad photo. When you stop the action, remove the color, and get a chance to peer in, there's really a lot of pathos here - that's what I see, anyway.

Thank you.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    B.D., can you show us Susan's project? Maybe not, but it shows that Rami is a professional. He does this almost every day and makes a living doing it. I don't think it's sadness so much as a moment of boredom?

Anyway, very nice picture of him. Very. But I think it's a little flat. You can easily make it pop more. I used curves to add contrast and then sharpened:

722704071_KacyL-XL.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    B.D., can you show us Susan's project? Maybe not, but it shows that Rami is a professional. He does this almost every day and makes a living doing it. I don't think it's sadness so much as a moment of boredom?

Anyway, very nice picture of him. Very. But I think it's a little flat. You can easily make it pop more. I used curves to add contrast and then sharpened:

722704071_KacyL-XL.jpg
    Hi, Rutt - I knew you would say that RE contrast - yeah, I often don't go much past LR in my conversion, and PS is where I go for more contrast. Thank you.

Yes, Rami is distracted, bored, certainly, but there's something more, a humanness, vulnerability - not to get overly analytical. Maybe it's me - my pre-holiday s.a.d. kicking in.