Options

Sensor Cleaning

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited November 27, 2009 in Cameras
If I'm in the wrong spot -- please move me :D

I need to clean some crud off my sensor. I can see it, but when I use the blower to blow if off softly it doesn't move. Problem is...I need to lock up the mirror. I've read how to do that, but I must me missing a step in the process because I don't see it. When I manually do it using my bulb setting I can see it. I'm sure this is sounding like a mess :rofl Must be cause I'm so nervous to even have to do it :D

I have the Eclipse E2 and the wipes -- all ready to do it, but can't get the mirror to stay up and still see the sensor :scratch

My camera is the 40D -- that info might help. I've read page 98 &160, but still confused.

I'm really not this dumb...just scared and I want to do it right :D

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    You should read page 131-132.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    You should read page 131-132.

Cuong

I read that page over and over in hopes that when I blew it out lightly it would go away rolleyes1.gif I've been working on it with more light blowing, but there are 2 spots that are still there :cry
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Then it's time for wet cleaning with the Eclipse and wipe. The sensor cleaning mode will keep the mirror up till you turn the power off.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Then it's time for wet cleaning with the Eclipse and wipe. The sensor cleaning mode will keep the mirror up till you turn the power off.

Cuong

I'll try it. Wish me luck.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    The first time is always the scariest, but there isn't much to it once you did it a few times. There are a few old threads, like this one, covering this topic if you want to read more about this.

Cuong
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    The first time is always the scariest, but there isn't much to it once you did it a few times. There are a few old threads, like this one, covering this topic if you want to read more about this.

Cuong

About six months ago I was attempting to remove some stubborn dust spots on the sensor of my 40D. I used the blower and it did not remove them. I then used the wet wipes and as soon as I touched the sensor when it was in the lock up position the sensor collapsed and I had to get it repaired. I was under warranty and didn't cost me anything or it was going to cost £130 to get it repaired. I was without the camera for two weeks. Since then I have been very reluctant to touch the sensor.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I just did my first sensor cleaning, on a 50D. I forget where, but I read somewhere a suggestion that if the blower does not work, a sensor brush may, and that it makes sense to try that before a wet cleaning. So I bought a sensor brush from Copper Hill, followed their instructions precisely, and it worked. I missed one spot, but I got the rest right away. Less scary (to me) than swabbing it.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Make sure that the camera is in the manual sensor cleaning mode, not mirror-lock-up mode. The focusing mirror should not come down unless you turn it off, so avoid touching the power switch in the back.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    I just did my first sensor cleaning, on a 50D. I forget where, but I read somewhere a suggestion that if the blower does not work, a sensor brush may, and that it makes sense to try that before a wet cleaning. So I bought a sensor brush from Copper Hill, followed their instructions precisely, and it worked. I missed one spot, but I got the rest right away. Less scary (to me) than swabbing it.
    Wet cleaning is the only effective means to remove stubborn dust bunnies that refuse to budge from the low-pass filter vibration cleaning.

Cuong
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I'll try it. Wish me luck.

It´s a little scary at first, but once you get used to it there´s little to worry about. Just take your time, follow the directions carefully and make sure your battery is fully charged so it doesn´t shut down the camera while you are working. Don´t be surprised if it requires multiple passes to get all the gunk off.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    It´s a little scary at first, but once you get used to it there´s little to worry about. Just take your time, follow the directions carefully and make sure your battery is fully charged so it doesn´t shut down the camera while you are working. Don´t be surprised if it requires multiple passes to get all the gunk off.

I"ve done multiple passes and they are all still there. I'll try again, but what happens if I can't get it off?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I"ve done multiple passes and they are all still there. I'll try again, but what happens if I can't get it off?

Are you seeing something in your images or in the viewfinder?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are you seeing something in your images or in the viewfinder?

I cleaned my sensor and mirror numerous times since I wasn't sure where the dust actually was. The first photo is where I started and the 2nd is where I am now. The 2nd photo...its hard to tell where the bunnies are, but there are 3 major ones. The rest I think is my lousy photo taking and the grain on my door. If you can give me a way to take it inside I could get an accurate photo to show you.

723262125_u3pzh-L.jpg

723262120_rwe7U-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    If you can give me a way to take it inside I could get an accurate photo to show you.

Mary,

I usually just set the camera to ISO 100, f/22 and shoot the sky, but a solid white wall or ceiling should also be fine. Bring the shot into Photoshop and apply autolevels. If the bunnies are changing position from shot to shot, then you should be able to get them off with enough passes. Don´t worry about stuff in the viewfinder--it doesn´t affect the image.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    BTW, you might want to look at this thread to see just how bad things can look. Hang in there.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Thank-you for giving me the settings for inside shot :D

This is where the issue is. These stay in the same spot. When I look through my viewfinder you can see them really good. I notice they didn't show up to well in the outside photo, but my settings were off somewhat.

My concern is there may be some little pits on the sensor. Am I wrong...I so want to be wrong and its just stuck on crude.

723674552_qVGKw-L.jpg
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    When I look through my viewfinder you can see them really good.
    Are you sure it's not on the lens somewhere? Sensor dust doesn't show if you look through the viewfinder.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Mary, if you can see them in the viewfinder and they show up on the photo, then they are on your lens. Try a different lens to verify.

Cuong
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Are you sure it's not on the lens somewhere? Sensor dust doesn't show if you look through the viewfinder.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    ivar wrote:

+++thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    I took your advice and tried all my lenses. I have a spot or two showing up in the same place. So I would say that is something on my sensor or mirror. Correct? --- But its in a different place then what I see looking through the viewfinder with no lens on.

I can clean my sensor or mirror in hopes of removing the spot I see with all the lenses on, but where are the spots coming from when I look through the viewfinder with no lens? I'd sure like to clean that up because it's buggin' me rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I took your advice and tried all my lenses. I have a spot or two showing up in the same place. So I would say that is something on my sensor or mirror. Correct? --- But its in a different place then what I see looking through the viewfinder with no lens on.

I can clean my sensor or mirror in hopes of removing the spot I see with all the lenses on, but where are the spots coming from when I look through the viewfinder with no lens? I'd sure like to clean that up because it's buggin' me rolleyes1.gif

If you see a spot through the viewfinder with no lens, then there is something on the mirror or prism. This will not show up on the image. Unless it is driving you nuts when you see it, there´s no reason to worry about it. You cannot see sensor dust by looking through the viewfinder.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    Be "very" careful cleaning the mirror surface. Since it is a font-surface mirror, it has little protection from being scratched.

Visible dust in the viewfinder without a lens is generally on the viewfinder screen.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    You all have been so very helpful -- I thank-you all :D

It must be on my viewfinder. It was sunny today and I checked all my lenses outside by taking a photo towards the nice blue sky. They are all clean except for one of them, and those spots are in a different place. So it must be my viewfinder.

They bug me, but I suppose I could learn to live with it :D

I was very careful cleaning my sensor and mirror. Hopefully I didn't do any damage to it. If I did...how would I know?