Options

First Basketball Pictures

Scott_TXScott_TX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited November 25, 2009 in Sports
These are the first basketball photos I have taken.

4133861974_09b2c8a960.jpg

4133863230_98ee8411eb.jpg

4133864570_be03fa7418.jpg

4133105423_c99021229b.jpg

4133105787_51225df7b1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Scott,
    Not too bad for your first time. Be careful about cropping off limbs. Your DOF looks a bit too deep too. In post processing you can change the color balance to make them look a lot better. Here is one the I adjusted the color temp to 4200 and adjusted the contrast/brightness.

Keep up the good work, with a little more practice you pictures should move to a whole new level.

Kelly
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Yes, that first ones color balance was way off. Don't really know what to do with the DOF, I was shooting at F2 which means I should of had a shallow DOF. I am planning on picking up a 85mm F1.2 lens soon and am a little concerned that it my be a little long for basketball.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Scott_TX wrote:
    Yes, that first ones color balance was way off. Don't really know what to do with the DOF, I was shooting at F2 which means I should of had a shallow DOF. I am planning on picking up a 85mm F1.2 lens soon and am a little concerned that it my be a little long for basketball.

85mm f/1.2L is not considered a sport lens for basketball due to its slower focusing. The 85mm f/1.8 is usually used for indoor sports instead.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Duhhhhh, that is the one I really want everything I have read about it makes it seem like a great lens for indoor sports.
    rainbow wrote:
    85mm f/1.2L is not considered a sport lens for basketball due to its slower focusing. The 85mm f/1.8 is usually used for indoor sports instead.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Nicely done.

I think basketball is a tough sport to shoot. Almost any action can happen at any angle anywhere on the court. Contrast with baseball, someone stealing second has only one way to do it. :D
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Scott_TX wrote:
    Duhhhhh, that is the one I really want everything I have read about it makes it seem like a great lens for indoor sports.

Welcome to DGrin, BTW. And BTW, your "Duhhhh" seems slightly rude.

(Edit: This was my poor response to my misinterpreting of the OP's "Duhhhh" referring to his meaning to say f/1.8 when I thought he was referring to my recommendation to consider said lens. My bad, and apologies and a sincere welcome to Scott TX).
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin, BTW. And BTW, your "Duhhhh" seems slightly rude.

I think you read the response the wrong way. I believe the "duh" refers to the OPs mistake of typing 1.2 instead of 1.8. I.E. the "duh" was self-directed, not directed at you.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    rainbow, sorry I meant for the duh to refer to me, not you. I was the one that put 1.2 down the 1.2 instead of the 1.8 that I was thinking about. again, sorry.
    johng wrote:
    I think you read the response the wrong way. I believe the "duh" refers to the OPs mistake of typing 1.2 instead of 1.8. I.E. the "duh" was self-directed, not directed at you.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    johng wrote:

You are right... OP sent a PM with apology... which with clarification, including your post, was unnecessary. All is good now. Thanks.