Options

My first B/W

tony0778tony0778 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited November 26, 2009 in Finishing School
Here's my first attemt at a BW conversion. I used PSE7. C&C welcome!

724372674_BRjqT-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Not bad on the conversion, IMO it could use a bit more contrast. My only constructive criticism of the shot itself is that it's awfully busy. There's a lot of stuff going on there and no one single subject to really draw your eye, then view the rest of the composition. It's all just kind of "there".
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    tony0778 wrote:
    Here's my first attemt at a BW conversion. I used PSE7. C&C welcome!

724372674_BRjqT-M.jpg

Tony, you might mention what camera you use, and what you did in PS 7 for your conversion, and maybe a word or two why you chose B&W.

There have been numerous discussions here about monochrome conversion techniques that you might find interesting as well

The brightest white I can find is in the sign and reads ~ 220,220,220 and the blackest black reads about 17,17,17 - I think that is where some of the contrast has vanished. I try to include tones from 5,5,5 to 250,250,250 in my B&W conversions if possible, as I know I can print this range on my printer.

Welcome to dgrin and Finishing School and Happy Thanksgiving!

I looked through your galleries. I like rail roads also. Here's a link to my conversion effort and another
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tony0778tony0778 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Pathfinder,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Your B/W conversions of the rolling stock and steam engine are absolutly fantastic. The quality of your work is my goal to strive for. I thought B/W may be a good look for this scene to convey age, vintage RR cars, etc. In addition, I though the pealing paint and rust would should up well in contrast.

I reworked the image to improve contrast. I took the shot early this AM with my Canon XSI and 18/55 lens. I edited the file within PSE7 using layers and adjusting red, green and blue. Converted to grayscale.

724569223_TmFka-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    More punch in this one, for sure. Much greater use of the available tones. WHite in the sign now reads 253,253,253, and I can find a few blacks near 7,7,7
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin